Default Easement Troubles - Neighbor Limiting Access

State of Washington
    We have two neighbors (3 homes altogether) with driveways on which we have mutual easements. Think of the capital letter Y. The two top homes are at the top of the Y and we are landlocked at the bottom. Our only access to our home is through the top two driveways. One of the neighbors refused entry to a roofing contractor's trailer, coming to our home to do work this past week, incurring great expense to the contractor to carry everything out. He did bring his truck. I found out afterward.

We have a hostile past history, the first time I met this neighbor, they refused to shake my hand and stated that their position was that they wanted to discourage us from using our driveway. I said it was a legal easement and that I intended to use it. We do not enjoy a warm relationship.

Today I walked out of our driveway to see signs saying that no trucks or trailers were allowed access to the driveway.

My legal easement states:

Ingress and egress to and from the county road for said lots 7, 6, 5 and 4 and is limited to the existing route of the West and East branch of the private road which extends to the county road.

I am faced with having to have an attorney send them a letter to explain what an easement is. Any advice to resolving this matter amicably would be appreciated. I do not want to set a precedence that it is ok for them to control/block access to those I have invited to my home for work or pleasure.

Thank you.

Default Re: Easement Troubles - Neighbor Limiting Access

well, if you cannot show them in writing and by using any applicable mapping, I would think the attorney letter would be the next least confrontational method.

Really, there isn't much else besides that and if that doesn;t work, sue the guy.

I'm sure an attorney would say no but if you were left with no resolve through an attorney or could not recover the cost of a suit then you might try reverse psychology. Buy an old car. Fill it with 20 tons of lead, remove the tires and hope the guy does not have dynamite or a crane. Then keep promising it will only be a few more days before your mechanic will get back from vacation and leave it there until he finally comes around.

Thank you for your quick response. I did contact a real estate attorney today and dropped off all the pertinent information. I have alot of confidence in him as I have worked with him in the past.

great.

stop back and keep us updated.

1. Sponsored Links