Default Owed Half Of Rent And Utilities

My question involves a roommate in the State of: Illinois

My boyfriend and I moved in together in February of '07. Our rent was 2,000 a month and we agreed to split it and the utilities. After we moved in together I found out he was not financially stable. He never paid rent! He just kept telling me he would be asking his parents for assistance, but I just found out he never did. He owes me a total of $7,600. His dad did come through with $1,300 two months ago to try and reimburse me. I have been more then patient waiting to get my money back. He moved out in October and has been telling me the money would be repaid to me soon, but that has not happened. I have looked for roommates using various websites, but have not had any luck.
    What steps can I take to recover my losses? If I take him to court how much will this cost me? If he is not making any money how will I be repaid? He has ruined my credit and I am in desperate need to repair it. Please help.

Default Re: Owed Half Of Rent And Utilities

One more thing I forgot to mention is that we are both on the lease and I have put together a spreadsheet that includes my check numbers for the rent, utility bills, etc...I wanted to make sure to cover myself

Default Re: Owed Half Of Rent And Utilities

Most small claim court limits are $5,000 so you're probably looking at filing a civil suit. You can file pro-se (self-representation) or hire an attorney to represent you (best option). The costs for each vary by county/state.

If you prevail, it's up to you to collect. However, if he has no assets, as you've stated, then you get what you've gotten from him in the past - nothing!

1. Sponsored Links