Default Car Stolen With Valuable Items In It

My question involves criminal law for the state of: California

I have recently had my car stolen and it had about $2000 worth of musical equipment in the trunk. The car was recovered (miraculously undamaged) and the thief is now in custody. Unfortunately, all of the musical gear is gone, and I am having a really hard time getting the police to help me recover it. I don't have the serial numbers for the items, but I can give exact descriptions of the makes and models of what was lost. Is there anyway to convince the police to go and search the suspects house for the stolen goods? It seems like a no brainer to me, but I am just getting transferred from department to department as no one seems to want to deal with it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Default Re: Car Stolen With Valuable Items In It

Did you have insurance coverage? Did you make a claim?

The police may not be able to get a search warrant under these circumstances; I don't know enough to guess, but it's possible that the information is "stale" for purposes of getting a warrant.

There could be a number of reasons why they are reluctant to obtain a warrant - the description of the items and a lack of definitive ID by serial number, the time delay (the staleness referred to by Mr. Knowitall), the theory of the crime (perhaps the thief in custody is not the one who might have actually taken the car), or something else. Perhaps they have searched the residence, or, perhaps he already told them he disposed of the property in some way.

It would seem worthwhile to obtain such a warrant, so I suspect there is some reason why they don't.

Perhaps you can ask to speak to a supervisor and find out if anyone is assigned to do follow-up on the case. Then, ask that person what they might do and how you can help.

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Thanks for the advice.
    It seems as though my options are pretty slim, considering I dont have serial numbers.

I will still try and get more information out of them though. The department is being very dismissive. Nobody ever asked if I wanted to press charges for the auto theft, and anytime I call to try to get any information, I am transferred from person to person until I end up back where I started.

That's Oakland for ya I guess.

1. Sponsored Links