Question What is the Difference Between a Misdemeanor and a Minor Misdemeanor

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Ohio

Last year during the summer me and my friends went out to a camp ground to spend the night. We set up the tent then were in the middle of smoking a blunt when a park ranger caught us. We had a lot of shit that he could have busted us for but we were very VERY cooperative and at the end of it all, he gave me a ticket for possession and use (under 100g) and that's it. I wasn't arrested or anything. He let us stay the night at the camp ground. I paid the ticket the very next day. There was no court date or anything. The ticket was paid and that was the end of it. I am filling out an application for employment and they want to know if I have ever been convicted of a misdemeanor and how i plead and such and I'm not sure what to say. I'm not sure if I should consider a [I]minor[I] misdemeanor as a misdemeanor...

Any thoughts or advice welcome. Thanks

Default Re: Whether This Is Misdemeanor Of Minor Misdemeanor... The Difference?

Man there must be a bunch of you in Ohio.

Ohio code 2925.11(?)(?)

(D) Arrest or conviction for a minor misdemeanor violation of this section does not constitute a criminal record and need not be reported by the person so arrested or convicted in response to any inquiries about the personís criminal record, including any inquiries contained in any application for employment, license, or other right or privilege, or made in connection with the personís appearance as a witness.

But I'm pretty sure that if I look my name up in on the internet it comes up and shows that I have that ticket on my record. You're saying that they can't use that against me?

all I have done is post the statute whcih I believe addressess your question.

that is part of the problem wiht this new fangled electronic crap such as the internet. While the state may not report the incident, many other sources will continue to do so.

I would simply take the statute as written and act accordingly. Ohio syas it is not considered as part of your criminal record and that is how I would resond to the question.

Or, if you are truly worried, tell your future employer.

I have passed by more employees for lying on their applications than for what was atually put there.

but the statutes specifically address this specific situation so it would not be lying. It would actually be following the law.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    but the statutes specifically address this specific situation so it would not be lying. It would actually be following the law.
    True.

Which is why I started my statement with "if you are truly worried".

Legally, the OP doesn't have to put it in... but it sounds like he was having a crisis of conscience.

1. Sponsored Links