Default Shoplifting At Macy's

My question involves criminal law for the state of: MASS

I was caught shoplifting in Macy's on Thursday. I am terrified of the consequences and will never do it again. The security director kept asking me if I had any questions and I said no because I was so scared and embaressed and now of course I do have some questions. She had me sign all kinds of papers (which I didn't take a copy of). I paid $140 towards the $500 restitution. The police were not called and I am suppose to continue making payments towards the $500. She did say something about going to court, but made it seem like if I paid the $500 they may not go to court. Could this be true? How long do I have to pay before it goes to court? I gave them my mailing address and they took my picture, my ss#, and said I can never go into Macy's again. What happens if in 10 years I walk through Macy's with my kid (if I have one) will I be arrested on the spot. The mailing address I gave them is old and I don't think I even get mail there anymore is that going to be a problem? I have to drop off another payment tomorrow and am scared to death to even walk in the store? Any advise would be a big help. I am 28 and have no record, will I have one now if there was no arrest? What happens if I miss the court date, because I don't get a letter?

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Shoplifting At Macy's

The store has until the statute of limitation runs out to file crminal charges. This is usually one year

i am aware of the statue of limitations. do you know if i am going to get anything in the mail about a court date if the police weren't called. if they don't file charges and i pay the civil demand is there a court process. i just don't want to miss a court date since the address i gave them was old.

I suggest you contact macys and give them your correct address. If you do have to go to court and you dont know about it then you may have a warrant put out for your arrest. It seems by your post they are trying to collect civil demand, if the police were not contacted while you were at the store and you pay your civil demand you will more than likely not get charged in criminal court.

1. Sponsored Links