Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Moncton NB

    Default Can You Sue Your Parents?

    My question is this: If your parents were in a custody battle for four years, and you were basically manipulated into staying with a parent because of the child support received from the other parent, and were made to feel responsible for keeping things status quo, even though you wanted to live with the other parent, what can you do? When one parent is paying the other child support, but you aren't getting the things that you require, for example school supplies, a license etc... can you sue your primary care giver?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Behind a Desk

    Default Divorcing a Parent

    Not for the type of conduct you describe. But in Canada, it would appear that once you are 16 you can lawfully set up an independent household, if you are able.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    British Columbia


    I agree with Mr. Knowitall. It is very difficult to prove this time of activity without having the child turn against the parent in question. If child support was court ordered and was paid in accordance and at the time the child was complaining of lack of neccessities, it should have been addressed then. And a licence is not considered a "essential" neccessity. Unless the child was physically locked in a room or confined to the home, they are free to walk away (dependant on the age, a small child usually doesn't make too many decisions on their own, but 12 and up usually are quite vocal especially when things are not going their way). A judge would certainly wonder the motives of the claim, I would assume the child is now estranged from the other parent and has no contact what so ever. A judge would probably question the child (if old enough) but honestly I don't even think you can substaniate a case for this. Unless the child wants to sue the parent, but the grounds for it have to be very strong and most likely ties would be severed for good.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Emancipation: How Can Teen Parents-to-Be Live Together Against Parents' Wishes
    By Looker12 in forum Juvenile Law
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 10:42 AM
  2. I-130 and I-864 for Parents
    By ruby in forum Visas for Business, Tourism and Family
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-15-2008, 09:39 AM
  3. Guardianship: Getting Parents To Give Guardianship to a Friend's Parents
    By trickmama in forum Disability and Elder Law
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-02-2007, 08:42 PM
  4. Emancipation: My Parents Don't Want Me
    By odonkb in forum Juvenile Law
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-07-2007, 12:01 PM
  5. Child Neglect: I Want to Sue My Parents
    By i3h in forum Abuse and Neglect
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources