Default Can A Person Be Held Accountable For Things They Did As A Minor?

My question involves a credit report problem in the State of: Louisiana. When I was about 14 I opened an account for a book club. Now about 6 years later rjm acq llc posted the account to my credit report. I dont have a problem paying the balance if thats what I have to do to get it off of my credit report, but I was just curious to know if I could be responsible for something that happened when I was a minor. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Can A Person Be Held Accountable For Things They Did As A Minor?

Did your parent consent for you to open the account? Minors are not legally able to enter into contracts without parental consent.

Even so, if you owe it, pay it. No time like now to start properly managing your credit!

Default Re: Can A Person Be Held Accountable For Things They Did As A Minor?

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    Did your parent consent for you to open the account? Minors are not legally able to enter into contracts without parental consent.
    Minors can enter into contracts without parental consent. The contracts are generally voidable, meaning the minor can back out of the contract (although the other party is entitled to be restored to their original position). So a minor who joins a book club can send back all the free books in resalable condition, and say, "I've changed my mind." But if they've lost or damaged books, they still need to pay for them.

Still, it makes sense to try to dispute the debt on the basis of minority, as that may cause a creditor to back off.

1. Sponsored Links