Default Stop Light Violation - Light Turned Red After Entering Intersection

My question involves a traffic ticket from the state of: Minnesota
    I received a ticket for a stop light violation - statute 169.06.5(A)(3)(1).
    I entered an intersection while the light was yellow. I made it about 2/3 the way through the intersection and the light turned red. The statute states that I violated a red light. I do not think this was the case because it was yellow. I can not find anything in the statute to tell me that I must stop on yellow. The officer made three comments and this is why I am fighting it to prevent this from going on my record.

1. He told me that I have been driving much longer than him so he is not going to tell me how to drive. I am 37 and he was in his early 20's. Not sure why he said this but it is prompting me to fight this to the end.
    2. He told me that in the future I should speed up in the intersection to avoid the light change.
    3. Or he said in order to avoid this in the future, do not do it when a cop is around.
    Great advice. Based on statement 2, he acknowledged the yellow light.

I am wondering if I should ask for a dismissal because I did not enter the intersection when the light was red or plead not guilty and go on the yellow light defense.

Default Re: Stop Light Violation - Light Turned Red After Entering Intersection

I believe your interpretation of the laws is correct -- nothing in the statute prevents you from entering an intersection on YELLOW. However, when it comes to the hearing, the officer will probably testify that the light was RED when you entered the intersection. It would really help if had a witness.

Good luck,
    Barry

1. Sponsored Links