Default Grand Jury Indictment and Mental Illness

Hi,
    During a psychotic episode my 17 year old son took his cloths off and sat cross legged or indian style in the middle of the road. His friend called the police and told them that he had injested drugs, was agitated and was sitting in the middle of the road naked. The police arrived with a camera going on top of the cruser.

They approached my son in a confrontational manor - verbal - 3 officer surrounded my son and he started yelling profanities . As he got up the officers went to grab him and he flug his hands hitting an officer. It is hard to tell from the film if my son flug his hand or had a more direct punch approach . The officers pepper sprayed my son and tackeled him.
    He was put in a semi concious state because of a racing heart and high blood pressure then held down for 3 hours on his pepper sprayed back by 6 men in the hospital until competent staff flew in on life flight from a trauma hospital and transfered him. He remained in a induced coma for 3 days.

He was later charged by the local police with assaulting a police officer and his case was transfered from the city to county court under a Grand Jury Secret indictment. He was taken to the police station and offered a "deal" if he would provide information to police on "drug labs" at the local college. My son declined the offer. No details of the case were made available or public. His attorney indicated he would get it reduced to a misdomeaner from a felony.This did not happen . My son was found guilty and eventually ended up serving 6 month in a state prison . He also now has a felony record and has had 3 additional psychotic episodes.

My insurance company denied the claim and wanted me to sign a paper for an investigation. Of course out of fear for my son and the dishonesty of our local "justice" system , I refrused.

Does my son have any recourse at this point . Was this an unfair use of the laws? Is there any option to have this revesed or removed? Would I seek the advice of a civil rights attorney? I have contacted our state legal rights advocacy for the mentally ill and they reviewed and were unable to offer any valuable feedback or direction.

Thanks for listening.

Default Re: Grand jury indictment Mental illness ohio

Quote Quoting ljip
    Does my son have any recourse at this point . Was this an unfair use of the laws? Is there any option to have this revesed or removed?
    It is hard to say. If he was convicted following a jury trial, his standard recourse would be to appeal or to petition for a new trial. If excessive force was applied, he might have a basis for a civil rights suit.

Quote Quoting ljip
    Would I seek the advice of a civil rights attorney?
    Yes; one who handles police brutality matters.

thank you for your interest and reply. oddly there was no jury maybe not oddly but it was heard by a judge sadly he has so much going against him in life and now a felony has been added to his record. I guess I should also check out this section of your board. Thanks again!!

1. Sponsored Links