Default Employee Accused Of Stealing

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Oregon

Within the last few months I quit a job at a high end retail store. While I worked there I received some items for "free" as contest winnings (I paid taxes on the cost of these items - so they weren't totally free) After I quit I returned them for full retail value and got cash. Additionally, i returned some other items i had paid for outright and had the receipts for, they had been used, but this store has a very liberal return policy and takes pretty much anything back as long as you have a receipt. So this week, the store investigator called me and questioned me on these items - the "free" items I returned for full retail value and the other "used" items I returned with a receipt.... She told me that if I pay the store the value of these items back, they will forget the whole thing and promise me, NO CHARGES will be pressed... during our conversation, I was totally honest with them, as I do not feel I really did anything illegal. Towards the end of our conversation, they told me that they received an annonymous tip that I may have stolen an expensive item without paying for it - I assured them i did NOT. I asked them why they would think that and they said they were going off a tip from another employee. They also said they believed me because they could tell I was being completely honest with them. They told me that they would send me the paperwork requesting the money they wanted and that was that. They said they are not pressing any charges because for them as a company - it doesn't benefit them in any way. I am scared now. Should I have been honest, like I was? Why did they think I stole the item they employee "tipped" them on me taking? Should I believe them when they say they are not pressing any charges and consider this a done deal????

Default Re: Employee Accused Of Stealing?

Speak with an attorney.
    You owned the items that you returned.
    If you didn't steal them, why should you pay for them?

Default Re: Employee Accused Of Stealing

agreed
    ask then if they treat all the customers this way. its their return policy ..your just abiding by it. if you weren't allowed to return it ..then the person who authorized it is in trouble not you

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Employee Accused Of Stealing

Ok so you won some items and paid tax only lets say 5 bucks (for arguement sake) but returned items for full value 20 bucks (agian just for arguement sake) so you made a $15.00 profit!

1. Sponsored Links