Threaded View

Default Credit Card Judgment

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Mississippi.

The original debt was with Citibank. Citibank charged off the debt. Some months later, a local law firm called McKay, Lawler, and Simpson contacted me about the debt. I disputed it within the 30 days and asked for verificaton of debt. This was in August of 2007. In March of 2008, they responded by sending me a packet that had no verification but finance charges from AFTER I stopped paying Citibank.

Today they sent me a demand of judgement (a summons, I think), filed with the local circuit court. It says I need to respond within 30 days. Can anyone tell me what my next move should be?

If I have to make arrangements for small payments with citibank, I could. I'm looking more for other options though, as I am unable to pay large amounts.

However, I do not want to be sued by this lawfirm. I tried working with citibank before I quit paying them (they'd shot my interest rate up to 32% even after I was paying on time). They wouldn't give any leeway and it was between paying my credit and saving my house. Bankruptcy was not an option because of inherited land.

I'm not a shady person. I just need help.
    Thank you.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the last payment made on the account was 12/2006. It was charged off not long after.

1. Sponsored Links