Default Residential Construction Contract Problems

My question involves real estate located in the State of: TEXAS

Quick background: 10+ acres completely paid for (100% owned), loacted in country, zoned as "agricultural" w/no improvements. Is it normal for a home builder to place a "Mechanic's Lien" on property prior to start of construction? I thought ML's were only placed if there's any unpaid debt. Anyone know for sure?

Also my home builder is requiring the line "Owner and Builder agree that there will be no retainage of funds" be added to the contract. Is this normal. I thought as an owner i should be able to retain 10% funds at end of construction if my builder hasn't paid his subs. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Default Re: Residential Construction Contract Questions

Is it normal for a home builder to place a "Mechanic's Lien" on property prior to start of construction
    No but the lien laws in Texas may be different.

Retainage until completion is also normal.

Before you sign any contract you need to have it reviewed by an attorney and you need to check out the builder. Be sure to get insurance certificates and a copy of all permits. Have him submit to you a copy of all material invoices and subcontractor invoices and get a lien release for the amount of each payment. That way you can be sure he is paying his bills.

97C5ENVY, do you know the title of the document?

In many States, the term "mechanic's lien" refers to a negative recordation of a failure to pay a contractor for services performed. In Texas, a mechanic's lien is a mechanism used to record an effective lien against property that can be financed. If you were to build a new home, install a pool, or something of that nature; it would be common for a mechanic's lien to be filed. The lender would then renew and extend that lien to have a valid Deed of Trust.

If, on the otherhand, you had a "claim of lien" recorded against the property, then this would be a tool used by contractors to cloud title and open a potential claim for a judgment against your property for failure to pay.

Under either circumstances, you should carefully review the construction contract for any issues. If you are unfamiliar with what to look for or have any doubts, definitely obtain counsel from a local attorney.

Hope this helps!

Mr.Aycock,

The title on my contract is "Residential Construction Contract - Fixed Price" by TAB.

Thanks!

It sounds to me that you are dealing with a regular construction contract and not a "Claim of Lien", which is the Texas version of a "Mechanic's Lien" as used in other States. All major contractors will use a construction contract to form a valid lien against your property and then have this lien assigned to a lender for financing.

If there is something more that has been filed, then that could be an issue.

As far as the retainage of funds language, you should challenge this if you do not want it in the contract. Contracts are always negotiable and you can modify and change terms as you see fit. If the builder is busy, they will be less apt to negotiate down; but if they are hurting for business, you may have a greater bargaining position.

Hope this helps!

1. Sponsored Links