Question Utility Easement Access On Private Property

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Illinois

I have a utility easement behind my garage, and this runs east and west. The front of my house faces south. A large phone company came in and put these huge fiberoptic & telephone boxes behind my garage (on the legal easement). This easement can be accessed on a perpendicular street just 2 houses down from mine. The phone box contains phones lines for up to 300 residences and the fiberoptic line is to handle the new HD signal for cable TV. Since these boxes were put in, I have had a parade of utility personnel come down my driveway to the back of my garage. They never ask for permission and my children have encountered them in my backyard.

Do these utility personnel have the legal or right to trespass on my property even though the easement can be accessed 150 feet further west on a perpendicular street? There is no obstruction preventing them from accessing the easement that comes out on the adjacent street. What are my rights as a private property owner in preventing this continuous parade of maintenance personnel from coming on my property every time someone wants a new phone line or has a problem with their cable?

Default Re: Utility Easement Access On Private Property

the only area they can walk on is the easement and they can do so as needed.

If your driveway is not included in the easment, tell them to stop trespassing and act accordingly should they continue.

1. Sponsored Links