Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005

    Default Claiming children on taxes

    I want to start claiming my children on my taxes. My former husband has custody of them. Do I need to take him to court to do this and do I need to hire an attorney? Any input from someone who has done this?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2004

    Default Child Dependency Exemption and Divorce

    The child dependency exemption cannot be split, and if you both claim the deduction you will likely both be audited.

    Under federal tax law, which governs who can claim the deduction, the custodial parent is ordinarily regarded to be the parent who provided more than half of the child's support. That parent is ordinarily allowed to claim the deduction, if the other tests for claiming a dependency exemption are met.

    When the noncustodial parent is permitted to take the exemption, the custodial parent should execute an IRS Form 8332, and provide it to the noncustodial parent. The noncustodial parent would then file that form with their tax return.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Federal Taxes: Claiming Children on Taxes when Separated
    By Brownlove in forum Tax Law
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-13-2011, 04:52 AM
  2. Claiming Child On Taxes
    By Lawrence084 in forum Child Custody, Support and Visitation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 04:00 PM
  3. Claiming A Dependent On Taxes Who Draws SSD
    By jypsy_rose_lee in forum Tax Law
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-12-2007, 09:30 AM
  4. Claiming a child on your taxes
    By whattodonow in forum Tax Law
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-30-2005, 08:00 PM
  5. Claiming children on your taxes
    By michelle26 in forum Tax Law
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-30-2005, 05:39 PM
Sponsored Links

Legal Help, Information and Resources