My question involves criminal law for the state of: California

I worked for a company for several years. In early 2006, I misappropriated some store product that was going to be thrown away into credits that I used for employee incentives. I did not profit from this personally. Anyway, the Loss Prevention department discovered what I had done and investigated me, at which point I signed a restitution agreement. Almost always, at this point the employee is suspended and then terminated. I was suspended, but because of the situation and my justification of it, I was asked to continue my employment. I was paid for the time I missed from work for the suspension. As a condition for returning to work, I had to pay the amount I misappropriated, which was around $70. I did that within a week of returning to work.

Later that year I was promoted within the company to a district manager. Again, my bosses understood the situation described above which they did not hold against me in seeking the promotion. I was with the company until the beginning of 2008. I had assumed the situation was completely behind me, but yesterday I received a letter regarding penal code 490.5, where a law firm is asking me to pay over $400 for restitutionary and civil penalties.

Does this make sense? It seems in most cases such a letter is sent within a few months of the incident. Here, I was promoted after the incident, and stayed with the company for almost two more years. Now, a few months after I quit, I received such a letter.

Any thoughts would be helpful.