Default New Jersey Income Tax Return For Wage Less Than 10,000

I'm a part time resident of NJ, since I moved here in June last year (so that's 7 months)
    My gross income is less than required 10,000 by state of NJ.
    So my question is:
    1.will i get a refund if I file the NJ-1040 form?
    2. and can i file it at all with my conditions?

thank you
    I'm new in NJ, so will need your help with that.

Default Re: NJ Income Tax Return For Wage Less Than 10,000

Quote Quoting nichka
    View Post
    I'm a part time resident of NJ, since I moved here in June last year (so that's 7 months)
    My gross income is less than required 10,000 by state of NJ.
    So my question is:
    1.will i get a refund if I file the NJ-1040 form?
    2. and can i file it at all with my conditions?

thank you
    I'm new in NJ, so will need your help with that.
    You will need to file part year returns for the two states where you lived during 2007 (assuming that you had income in both states). The rules will differ somewhat for part year returns.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    You will need to file part year returns for the two states where you lived during 2007 (assuming that you had income in both states). The rules will differ somewhat for part year returns.
    thank you for response
    Actually I was asking whether i have to file NJ refund at all, since NJ law requires to file only for those who earned more than $10,000 at currunt year... and mine was only $7000

thank you

Quote Quoting nichka
    View Post
    thank you for response
    Actually I was asking whether i have to file NJ refund at all, since NJ law requires to file only for those who earned more than $10,000 at currunt year... and mine was only $7000

thank you
    As I said, the rules differ for part year returns. You are basing your question on the rules for a full year return. So, go look at the instructions for part year returns.

Quote Quoting llworking
    View Post
    As I said, the rules differ for part year returns. You are basing your question on the rules for a full year return. So, go look at the instructions for part year returns.
    thank you
    I was thoroughly reading the law of taxation in NJ but want to make sure I correctly understand their legal expressions, because somitimes they use such a complicated manner...
    so that's what they say about part-year residents
    No New Jersey income tax is due if the income you received during the entire year was $20,000 or less ($10,000 or less if filing status is single or married/CU partner, filing separate return). If your gross income was $20,000 or less ($10,000 or less if filing status is single or married/CU partner, filing separate return), enclose a copy of your Federal income tax return when you file your part-year New Jersey return. If you did not file a Federal return, enclose a statement with your New Jersey return certifying that your income for the entire year was $20,000 or less ($10,000 or less if filing status is single or married/CU partner, filing separate return).
    and they give this example to get an idea how it works:
    Martha Gibson, single, was a New Jersey resident from January through September 2007, when she moved to Florida and became a resident there. Her income as a New Jersey resident totaled $5,800 and her income while a Florida resident was $600. Martha is not required to file a New Jersey part-year resident return, and she owes no New Jersey income tax on the $5,800 she received as a part-year New Jersey resident because her income for the entire year was $10,000 or less. However, Martha must file a return to claim any refund of New Jersey
    income tax that was either withheld or remitted through estimated payments. When she files her 2007 New Jersey return, Martha must enclose a copy of her Federal income tax return or, if no Federal return is filed, a statement certifying that her income for the year was $10,000 or less.
    From what i understand, I don't have to file taxes, since i don't owe any to the state of NJ, but in case i want to receive a refund, i can file and get it... Did I get it right?

Quote Quoting nichka
    View Post
    From what i understand, I don't have to file taxes, since i don't owe any to the state of NJ, but in case i want to receive a refund, i can file and get it... Did I get it right?
    Yes, based on that, you got it right.

1. Sponsored Links