Default Need Help To Learn More About Emancipation

My girlfriend who is 16 and will be 17 on April 20th, 2008 is carrying my child. Her mother will not allow us to see each other, and tels her things like I'm not going to be there for her and the child, yet she will not give me a chance to prove that wrong. She will not allow me to go to the Doctors with them, or comfort my girlfriend in times of need. We need to know that if you are with child at the age of 17 in the state of Illinois are you legally able to leave your parents housing no matter what they say? We wish to get her out of there so I can help her more before I am shipped to Fort Benning, Ga. for Basic Training, as i joined the Armed Forces for the United States. Please help us asap in this matter.

I can be reached at Szczepaniak.scott@gmail.com or Scott_szczepaniak@yahoo.com
    Thank you for your support and help,
    Scott M. Szczepaniak

Default Re: Need Help To Learn More About Emancipation Please

Quote Quoting szczepaniak6
    We need to know that if you are with child at the age of 17 in the state of Illinois are you legally able to leave your parents housing no matter what they say?
    No, your g/f is still a minor. Being pregnant or giving birth does not change that her parents are legally responsible for her.

Also, the parents don't have any obligation to allow you to see her.

Now are you sure that this is not possible without trying to get her emancipated? because I've heard from many many people that she can do this. I'm not trying to say you are wrong, i am just trying to find out the truth before 20080420 so that her and I may be able to "rekindle" our relationship

Read this.

You can see the Illinois emancipation laws here. You must be at least sixteen to bring an emancipation petition in Illinois. Among the other facts you must establish to emancipate, you must show to the court's satisfaction that you are "a mature minor who has demonstrated the ability and capacity to manage his own affairs or (ii) a homeless minor who is located in this State; and [that you have] lived wholly or partially independent of his parents or guardian."

Your girlfriend is sixteen, but does not appear to meet any of the other criteria.

Default Re: Need Help To Learn More About Emancipation

Additionally, the odds that a PREGNANT minor will qualify for legal emancipation are almost none, since she not only has to be able to support herself, but her baby as well.

She does NOT qualify for emancipation and she cannot leave her parents' house without their permission until she is 18. No matter what "many people" told you. "Many people" are wrong.

1. Sponsored Links