Angry How Long Does A Doctor In Texas Have To Sign A Death Certificate?

My friends mother died over 3 weeks ago in Texas. They are residents of Indiana, and went down there for cancer treatments when her mother passed. They doctor still has not signed the death certificate so that they can file it. She needs to return home as soon as possible, but can not leave until this is taken care of. Are there any laws that regulate how long he/she has to fill out this paperwork, or can they take years if they want to? Is there any leverage my friend can use to make him/her hurry up? Her mother had to be cremated because the body would not hold long enough for them to finish their business down there and return here for a funeral. It has been emotional hell on my friend and I am hoping for some advice to give her.

thank you

Default Re: How Long Does A Doctor In Texas Have To Sign A Death Certificate?

Have they asked the reason for the delay? What were they told?

Perhaps they are waiting for test results to determine the actual cause of death.

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    Have they asked the reason for the delay? What were they told?

Perhaps they are waiting for test results to determine the actual cause of death.
    Reason of death was cancer. The Doctor has been busy and has not had a chance to get to it yet.

I strongly suspect the death certificate has been signed and that you just don't have it. I would suggest you talk with the funeral home people. If they don't have a copy (and I'll bet they do), go to the physician's office and get it straightened out. It should be very simple.

I mean no disrespect by my bluntness...
    I know of NO funeral home who will take a body without a copy of a death certificate. If the patient died in a hospital, it should have originated here (the paperwork). A death certificate is exactly that..proof of death. There has to be a paper with a signature of a physician stating they are infact deceased. Funeral directors don't have the abilitiy to do this. Maybe your friend is confusing this with a copy of the coroner's report?

Quote Quoting gigirle
    View Post
    I mean no disrespect by my bluntness...
    I know of NO funeral home who will take a body without a copy of a death certificate. If the patient died in a hospital, it should have originated here (the paperwork). A death certificate is exactly that..proof of death. There has to be a paper with a signature of a physician stating they are infact deceased. Funeral directors don't have the abilitiy to do this. Maybe your friend is confusing this with a copy of the coroner's report?
    I called my friend and double checked. The funeral home has the body, but it could not be embalmed to preserve it because they had been waiting on the death cert. They also are planning on cremating her, but have not yet for the same reason. My friend has been to the hospital every day looking for it, waits a while, and they tell her it is ready, the doc just has not gotten around to signing it yet. If she does not get it today, she is going to a lawyer. I was really hoping there was a law to quote to them to save her the expense.

You should find information at the link below:

HEALTH & SAFETY CODE

CHAPTER 193. DEATH RECORDS

1. Sponsored Links