Default Will This Require Emancipation?

I am 16 years old and am a resident in Massachusetts. I currently live with my parents, but me and five of my friends (three are 18, two are 16) have the money to buy an old building that we used to hang out in. It has three stories, eight bedrooms and four bathrooms. We know we could make this place into our home, and we know we want to. We have gone in-depth to the point of knowing an estimate of the total cost for renovations, the building itself, the property, the essentials, the electricity, the water... everything.

The problem: I do not think my parents will want me to move out before I graduate high school. Now, I haven't brought it up yet because I want to be sure we have everything set up before I do so. However, this building is closer to the High School I currently go to than my house, and I am positive I could go to college living here and live here when I graduate as well.

So, if my parents will not consent, would I have to be emancipated in order to legally live there?

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Will This Require Emancipation?

Moving out with several others is not emancipation. Emancipation is about self support and thats even if your state has a statute, which it doesnt

Ok, but what does that mean in terms of legality of the move?

panther10758 Guest

If your parents say no you cannot!

Massachusetts emancipation law is very limited:
    Quote Quoting Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 201: Section 5 Minors; custody and education; marriage; effect
    Section 5. The guardian of a minor shall have the custody of his person and the care of his education, except that the parents of the minor, jointly, or the surviving parent shall have such custody and said care unless the court otherwise orders. The probate court may, upon the written consent of the parents or surviving parent, order that the guardian shall have such custody; and may so order if, upon a hearing and after such notice to the parents or surviving parent as it may order, it finds such parents, jointly, or the surviving parent, unfit to have such custody; or if it finds one of them unfit therefor and the other files in court his or her written consent to such order. The marriage of a person under guardianship as a minor shall deprive his guardian of all right to the custody and education of such person but not of the care and possession of such person's property. If a corporation is appointed guardian of a minor, the court may, subject to the right of his parents, or of the spouse of a minor, as provided in this section, award the custody to some suitable person. The court may revoke the appointment of a guardian if the party petitioning for revocation proves a substantial and material change of circumstances and if the revocation is in the child's best interest.

but what does that mean in terms of legality of the move?

It means that unless your parents give you permission, you're licked before you start. You CANNOT move out without parental permission until you are 18.

1. Sponsored Links