Default Legal Separation Vs. Divorce

My husband and I have been married for 12 years. We reside in ID. Have two kids. My husband is an alcoholic and seems to find more time for his friends than us. However, when it is good it is good. We still love each other. We just cant seem to live together. For obvious reasons, this is more true for me. I receive money from the Va every month. If I divorce, I lose money. If we are legally separated, I don't. Since I will be taking both kids out of state, I need every dime. He says, and so far, he will not fight me on anything. Right now, he really doesn't know what he wants. He says he doesn't want us to leave, but I dont know.

Sorry for the rambling. Basically I want to know the benefits of both, legal separation and divorce.

Default Re: Legal Separation Vs. Divorce

Seperated is seperated and divorced is divorced. He's going to have to pay child support either way.
    If you seperate, you keep your benefits but you can't remarry until (your or him) you get a divorce. He may figure this out and ask for a divorce just to screw you. Sorry, just being honest. I hope it doesn't happen.
    It really benefits you bc you keep your benefits and you won't be held legally responsible if he drives drunk and kills someone (God forbid). You may get higher rates on your car insurance as your not married. Maybe someone has more to offer.

1. Sponsored Links