Default Colorado Emancipation Law

Hello I am a 15 year old girl in her freshman year at High School in Denver Colorado. I wish to be emancipated but am at a loss as to were to start. I know I will need a job but other than that I'm lost. My only real choice is to liveon my own because I can't live with anyone. I cannot live the family that I do have out here and my other family, biological or not, lives in other states and I will not move again. If anyone out there can help I would be greatly appreciative. I have talked to my school councelor but she does seem to be able to help. Any help would be great. Thank you.

Default Colorado Emancipation Law

Colorado does not appear to have a statutorily defined procedure for emancipation. It recognizes emancipation in its statutes:
    Quote Quoting Colorado Code 19-1-103. Definitions
    (45) "Emancipated juvenile", as used in section 19-2-511, means a juvenile over fifteen years of age and under eighteen years of age who has, with the real or apparent assent of the juvenile's parents, demonstrated independence from the juvenile's parents in matters of care, custody, and earnings. The term may include, but shall not be limited to, any such juvenile who has the sole responsibility for the juvenile's own support, who is married, or who is in the military.
    It thus appears that a Colorado court will recognize a minor as emancipated, but without a statute it's difficult to suggest the procedures; you may wish to inquire with your local court to see if there are standard forms for petitioning for emancipation. Note that the statute suggests that you can't emancipate over the objection of your parents.

1. Sponsored Links