Question Whistle Blower

I am a Family Nurse Practitioner and turned in two Registered nurses for exceeding their scope of practice and practicing medicine without a license. This incident took place in May 2006. Ever since that time I have been unable to obtain gainful employment for positions that I am qualified to fill.
    I have a very strong suspicion that one maybe two of the Doctors that I worked collaboratively with are slandering my reputation and probably defaming my character.

I have applied for over 20 positions within the last year and no one is talking to me at all. Only BS excuses for not affording me the opportunity for interview.

It has tore my family up and I am being railroaded out of the community.

Any advice as to where I start. Are there any legal recourse that I may be afforded?

Thanks

Default Re: Whistle Blower

Do you have any evidence of defamation (and not just suspicions)?

Well thats just it. HR talks to HR and are very aware of what they should and should not be talking about.

I was able to obtain a copy of my credentialing file from the VA because they are obligated under federal law "Freedom of information Act". People have received reports from (I have strong feelings about one MD that I worked with). There is contained in my file an interoffice memo "We received an idle report of a negative work relationship at his previous employer. If he is infact employeed by us his true colors will come out".

Don't we as citizens have a right to know? I mean, how can I fix what I don't know is broken?

I would imagine that if the people concerned are placed under oath it would come out in rapid fashon.

But how do I get to that point?

Thanks for your reply

Whistle blowing in the workplace is always a dbl edged sword and when the target is peers at your level or superiors/bosses,the edges of the sword become stealthy and more sharp. That's because while whistle blowing is 1st Amendment protected speech its often viewed as malice and subversive with the HR function and so in order for employers to crush/ avoid hiring the WB'er they must do so using other passive aggressive tactics so as to not wind up in a lawsuit( wrongfull termination or defamation).

'It will be cold day in hell before ANY doc or nurse will ever admit or even discuss the notion that WB has had any impact at all upon your situation.Therefore, the way to save your career, IMO, is NOT via an attempt to sue anyone.By god, the only thing worse than a WB'er is a one who is looking for someone or some reason to sue.

The solution instead is find a GOOD head hunter who works the national job market for your industry. Be certain that you're dealing with a professional whom you can talk to confidentially and tell him/her your situation.If you have a strong resume and are very placeable and abundantly qualified, a good head hunter will help you/ coach you and be willing to represent you to clients in far away places...other cities where you'll be abled to leave your skeletons behind so to speak.Yes I'm suggesting relocating to a different state.

What's most vital is having one or two good references where you live now and being effective in the interview process. That's
    where a good HH can be most helpful to get you through those tough questions that make you squirm and cause you to start studdering or becoming defensive (bad bad bad).

Besides landing a great job, the benefits, career growth and personal growth opportunities that can be attained with relocation can be invaluable! Its a very a scary thing, I realize, for you to contemplate today but as you open your mind to such ideas you'll view your job search as an exciting adventure!! Its one that you'll be proud of and well rewarded by too!

Been there...
    Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice. While I hear where you are coming from and agree with your recommendations, this will be somewhat difficult to uproot my family from our current location.

Wife is settled, kids in parochial school etc. What needs to be decided, is when to throw the towel in.

Right, I am NOT the type to be looking for lawsuites, but there has to be some way, some how to bring these a-wholes to justice, rather than be blackballed and railroaded out of the community in which I wanted to raise my family.

I take your words to heart and thank you for your time and consideration.

Quote Quoting genome45
    View Post
    Thanks for the advice. While I hear where you are coming from and agree with your recommendations, this will be somewhat difficult to uproot my family from our current location.

Wife is settled, kids in parochial school etc. What needs to be decided, is when to throw the towel in.

Right, I am NOT the type to be looking for lawsuites, but there has to be some way, some how to bring these a-wholes to justice, rather than be blackballed and railroaded out of the community in which I wanted to raise my family.

I take your words to heart and thank you for your time and consideration.
    I take it you are still employed?? Putting in 20 applications does not in and of itself mean you are being badmouthed when a potential employer calls them for a reference, but facially it does sound odd??

If you believe you are being blackballed with references, there are companies you can hire to pose as prosepective employers to see what the current/former employer is saying.

Since you work for the federal government, I do not know what employment reference laws they have in place, as many states do, only laws that prohibit retaliation for whistle blowing, reporting fraud etc.

It may be beneficial to consult a Federal Labor law/employment attorney for any possible legal options.

Good luck to you!!

It's obvious that possibly you're being blackballed behind the scenes via the grapevine. Proving that is usually next to impossible. Real world, not many people want to work or associate with someone who has a track record of whistleblowing. Whether right or wrong, it doesn't matter, must people, both co-workers and supervisors would simply have trust issues about such a person.

Just out of curiosity, what happened to the subjects of your whistleblowing?

Quote Quoting BOR
    View Post
    there are companies you can hire to pose as prosepective employers to see what the current/former employer is saying.

Since you work for the federal government, I do not know what employment reference laws they have in place, as many states do, only laws that prohibit retaliation for whistle blowing, reporting fraud etc.

It may be beneficial to consult a Federal Labor law/employment attorney for any possible legal options.

Good luck to you!!
    This is excellent advice!Again there head hunters and recruiters out there who often have deep connections into the upper tiers of management and they have ways of probing into these sorts of sticky issues because of their objectivity. Use these professionals to assist you
    but here again use them to repair your image and to get placed into a rewarding new job, rather than trying to use them to set you up for a lawsuit in which they themselves are your star witnesses. That would only destroy their careers as well.

Excellant insight and advice. The grapevine can be a powerful tool in a small community.

I am at my wits end and have not only been blackballed within the community in which I reside, but also in my own back yard with the VA. I am also a 25 year army veteran.

I am currently working under a contracting company. So the 20 (actually 30) applications that I have applied for is a mute point since I am forced to work outof town.

What bothers me the most is the propaganda that exists reference to whistleblower protection. In all honesty, I am challenged ethically, morally and legally to report violations when they have the potential to harm the public.

The board of nursing found justifying grounds for investigation and have been doing so for the past 1.5 years (backlogged).

If they find in my favor that there were actually violations being conducted, will this benefit me in my defense?

Thanks again for your time and effort. I frequent the board for replies.

Quote Quoting genome45
    View Post
    Excellant insight and advice.

Thanks again for your time and effort. I frequent the board for replies.
    You are welcome, trust me, I know what you are going through and I am quite sympathetic. Employers have ruled the workplace with an "Iron fist" by intimidation and harassment of employees, and always will.

Until some civil remedial laws are criminalized, a company paying a civil fine or court judgment means nothing to them, and the circle remains unbroken.

If they find in my favor that there were actually violations being conducted, will this benefit me in my defense?
    ABSOLUTELY, it will exculpate you and inculpate them.

1. Sponsored Links