Default Can I Be Sued For Slander?

Of course I am an act/talk first, worry about it later. Here's the scoop: I have worked for the same company for the last 6 years. We are a supplemental staffing company for nurses. As a field employee, we would rarely see our employer -- just get the assignment from the staffing coordinator, do your job, and maybe hear from her personally 3-4 times/year for holiday parties, reviews, etc. In the past 6-9 months, I have been more involved in the management side of the business and have had my eyes opened to a whole other side of my boss.

Just a little backstory -- she has a personal assistant, office manager/staffing coordinator, and receptionist working in the "home office". Our boss always seems to have an ailment that has become progressively worse in the past 12 months. It's always interesting -- her level of "pain" fluctuates and you never know what you're gonna get. In working closely with her recently, I have notice her level of professionalism plummet (chronic tardiness for appts, bitter comments/gossiping, etc.) The scariest observation is her fluctuating behaviors -- laugh/cry...laugh/cry...and this will cycle several times throughout the day, in mixed company. When I am in the field working, many of our clients are now asking "what's going on with her?" "what's with all the drama?". About four weeks ago, I informed her of all this. She of course, became defensive, then cried, etc. I am convinced there is some pain medicine addiction going on there, but of course, I am not about to say that to her or any of our clients.

Here is my dilemma: A few weeks ago, our boss pretty much "lost it." She terminated one of our beloved office coordinators who was pretty much running the company entirely on her own. Many of our nurses realize the detriment and potential damage done to the business. I know I am resigning. Since I have been with the company for so long, many of my colleagues look to me for advice, support, etc. For those that I am not too close with, I give my standard response of "I don't want to go down with the ship" "You need to do what's best for you." For those I have been friends with for years I have gone a little more in depth as to events I witnessed, my opinion on the pain meds, etc. Many people were planning on quitting soon too. I just don't want to be sued for slander since her business is based on her nurses and we all seem to be dropping like flies.

Have I made comments? Yes. However, I stand by everything I say. All of my information is factual and/or accurate descriptions of erratic behaviors. I provided my friends and colleagues with information I too would want someone to share with me. My boss is like a ticking time bomb. She will go on the war path when resignations start trickling in.

Please put my mind at ease. Is this grounds for a potential slander suit against me? Your input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Default Re: Can I Be Sued For Slander??

You can always be sued.

However, as long as what you state is fact and/or your opinion, you will win.

Default Re: Can I Be Sued For Slander?

Good point! Thanks so much!

1. Sponsored Links