Default Shoplifting In Macy's

I have a few more questions about the law that I broke in Michigan. I am 19 years old. The questions are listed below:

1) The only thing that the security officers at Macy's told me was that I will need to fill out the paperwork that I will get in the mail. I committed the crime on 03-12-08, and have not yet received anything yet from anybody. Do you think I should call them and ask, a website, advises against that since it could make things worse. My problem is that I was nervous, and had low blood sugar at that time (I have type 1 diabetes) and did not ask any questions. (I am not using that as an excuse for my crime. I take full responsibility)

2) The only thing that I have received from Macy's is a trespassing notice and a civil demand notice. The civil demand notice says that these charges are apart from any other criminal prosecution charges that I may or may not face. How much will this entire ordeal cost me?

3) So far, I have no intention of hiring a lawyer because I don't have a job, and I can't afford it. Will I be charged extra court fees if I decide to get a court appointed lawyer? Will that lawyer do what is best for me even if I broke the law? If I get a regular lawyer, how much would it cost me?

4) I have received no paperwork in the mail yet. Should I call the police department and ask them if charges will be filed against me? In the website that I have mentioned to you before, somebody stated that if the criminal has no prior violations except for traffic, I may be excused, and only face civil demand charges. Is this true?

5) Should I plead "guilty" or "not guilty"? The store does have video tapes of me committing the crime.

6) Will it matter to the judge that I have a GPA of about 3.8 and I am a sophomore and an Honors pre-med student at a well reputed university? I know this has nothing to do with my crime, I am not trying to brush off the fact that I should be responsible. It (the crime I committed) was bad judgement on my part. It was my first and last time I will commit any crime.

7) Will I go to jail? What will I be charged with? How can I keep this off my record?

I know this is a long list of questions, but only a few of the questions that I have. I have nobody else to turn to. I appreciate all your help.

PS. THIS IS A FOLLOW-UP FROM A PREVIOUS BOLG CALLED "SHOPLIFTING AT MACY'S IN MICHIGAN".

panther10758 Guest

Default Re: Shoplifting In Macy's

1) The only thing that the security officers at Macy's told me was that I will need to fill out the paperwork that I will get in the mail. I committed the crime on 03-12-08, and have not yet received anything yet from anybody. Do you think I should call them and ask, a website, advises against that since it could make things worse. My problem is that I was nervous, and had low blood sugar at that time (I have type 1 diabetes) and did not ask any questions. (I am not using that as an excuse for my crime. I take full responsibility)
    I am guessing the letter is Civil Demand that can take days, weeks even months. You may contact macy's Lp ask for number to their Civil Recovery Service and ask them
    2) The only thing that I have received from Macy's is a trespassing notice and a civil demand notice. The civil demand notice says that these charges are apart from any other criminal prosecution charges that I may or may not face. How much will this entire ordeal cost me?
    Nothing in your post suggest any Police involvment. Without Police involvment no criminal charges. I was assuming the mail you referrred to was Civil Demand. Please explain?
    3) So far, I have no intention of hiring a lawyer because I don't have a job, and I can't afford it. Will I be charged extra court fees if I decide to get a court appointed lawyer? Will that lawyer do what is best for me even if I broke the law? If I get a regular lawyer, how much would it cost me?
    Are you being charged or not? If so yes you need an Attorney if you cannot afford one request a Public Defender
    4) I have received no paperwork in the mail yet. Should I call the police department and ask them if charges will be filed against me? In the website that I have mentioned to you before, somebody stated that if the criminal has no prior violations except for traffic, I may be excused, and only face civil demand charges. Is this true?
    No one can say for sure. Contact Police ask if Macy's filed charges
    5) Should I plead "guilty" or "not guilty"? The store does have video tapes of me committing the crime
    Discuss your defense with your Attorney
    6) Will it matter to the judge that I have a GPA of about 3.8 and I am a sophomore and an Honors pre-med student at a well reputed university? I know this has nothing to do with my crime, I am not trying to brush off the fact that I should be responsible. It (the crime I committed) was bad judgement on my part. It was my first and last time I will commit any crime.
    Your right it has nothing to do with the crime. Many Serial killers had a 4.0 GPA
    7) Will I go to jail? What will I be charged with? How can I keep this off my record?
    On a 1st offense very unlikely. Keeping this off your record can be discussed with your Attorney and options like Diversion

Quote Quoting panther10758
    View Post
    Nothing in your post suggest any Police involvment. Without Police involvment no criminal charges. I was assuming the mail you referrred to was Civil Demand. Please explain?

Are you being charged or not? If so yes you need an Attorney if you cannot afford one request a Public Defender

No one can say for sure. Contact Police ask if Macy's filed charges
    Hello Panther,

Thank-you for your reply. The security officers at Macys said to expect paperwork in the mail. They did not specify if I will be getting anything from the police station or just the civil demand from Macy's. Regarding the charges, the officers briefly stated this fact, but I do not know for sure. That is why I am very very worried. Do you think I should call Macy's and find out, or will this make things worse?

Also, can the police come and arrest me at home or at school? An attorney that I emailed in Michigan said they may arrest me anywhere because of the crime I committed. Is this true, or is he trying to scare me into hiring him?

-Thank-you.

panther10758 Guest

Your best legal advice comes from an Attorney not the internet. However yes he was correct. Police may arrest you anywhere at anytime they choose. Rather than call Macy's call Police as instructed

1. Sponsored Links