I have a few more questions about the law that I broke in Michigan. I am 19 years old. The questions are listed below:
1) The only thing that the security officers at Macy's told me was that I will need to fill out the paperwork that I will get in the mail. I committed the crime on 03-12-08, and have not yet received anything yet from anybody. Do you think I should call them and ask, a website, advises against that since it could make things worse. My problem is that I was nervous, and had low blood sugar at that time (I have type 1 diabetes) and did not ask any questions. (I am not using that as an excuse for my crime. I take full responsibility)
2) The only thing that I have received from Macy's is a trespassing notice and a civil demand notice. The civil demand notice says that these charges are apart from any other criminal prosecution charges that I may or may not face. How much will this entire ordeal cost me?
3) So far, I have no intention of hiring a lawyer because I don't have a job, and I can't afford it. Will I be charged extra court fees if I decide to get a court appointed lawyer? Will that lawyer do what is best for me even if I broke the law? If I get a regular lawyer, how much would it cost me?
4) I have received no paperwork in the mail yet. Should I call the police department and ask them if charges will be filed against me? In the website that I have mentioned to you before, somebody stated that if the criminal has no prior violations except for traffic, I may be excused, and only face civil demand charges. Is this true?
5) Should I plead "guilty" or "not guilty"? The store does have video tapes of me committing the crime.
6) Will it matter to the judge that I have a GPA of about 3.8 and I am a sophomore and an Honors pre-med student at a well reputed university? I know this has nothing to do with my crime, I am not trying to brush off the fact that I should be responsible. It (the crime I committed) was bad judgement on my part. It was my first and last time I will commit any crime.
7) Will I go to jail? What will I be charged with? How can I keep this off my record?
I know this is a long list of questions, but only a few of the questions that I have. I have nobody else to turn to. I appreciate all your help.
PS. THIS IS A FOLLOW-UP FROM A PREVIOUS BOLG CALLED "SHOPLIFTING AT MACY'S IN MICHIGAN".