Question Drugs Found In Train Compartment, And Everybody Was Arrested

A good friend of mine was traveling in Europe by train. He was heading to Budapest and had a ticket Munchen-Wiena-Budapest. When he entered Austria, some cops got on the train and asked everyone including him for ID's and searched his luggage as well. He was clean but the problem was that he had just met a couple and they were alone in a compartment where the police found 3 bags of marijuana. No one claimed the bags and they were taken into custody. The police searched for fingerprints and there where none. He dosen't know anything about the bags, the couple says they don't know either. No one gives a damn who left it there and why but they were all arrested under the claim that they cannot prove it's not their marijuana. In the sametime, police can't prove it's their stuff either so... What are the chances for him to get charged with possession?The train is a public place, they can't tie him up with it...?

Default Re: Can One Pe Charged With Possession In The Following Situation?

http://www.rism.org/isg/dlp/ganja/ba...nforcProc.html

Austrian court and legal system is similar to ours, but this is a US legal forum. Can't help much with specifics.

Default Re: Drugs Found In Train Compartment, And Everybody Was Arrested

I can appreciate that however it seems absurd.. how can they charge someone if they can't actually prove that he is connected in any way with the merchandise? If someone was traveling with a dead body in a bag without him knowing it, can they prove he is a murderer? The bags were fingerprints free, the train is a crowded public place, it's not like they found it in his car o house or on him. I find it outrageous... I just want an oppinion, that's all... He will get legal help, that's for sure...cost will be very high as the lawyer will have to travel there and have a translator... I was just hoping that maybe someone would give me an advice before we start investing time and money in this.

Anybody giving an opinion, would be just guessing.

Possession laws in the United States vary from state to state.

Yes, he is being charged, so the logical thing to do is to get legal help.

Quote Quoting claudiaoprisor
    View Post
    I can appreciate that however it seems absurd.. how can they charge someone if they can't actually prove that he is connected in any way with the merchandise? If someone was traveling with a dead body in a bag without him knowing it, can they prove he is a murderer? The bags were fingerprints free, the train is a crowded public place, it's not like they found it in his car o house or on him. I find it outrageous... I just want an oppinion, that's all... He will get legal help, that's for sure...cost will be very high as the lawyer will have to travel there and have a translator... I was just hoping that maybe someone would give me an advice before we start investing time and money in this.
    Outrageous or not doesn't change the reality.

Why would a lawyer have to travel there? He's in Austria. He needs an Austrian attorney. There are plenty of attorneys in Austria skilled in their legal system and I can guaranty you quite a few speak English and have handled possession charges before. Sending a US attorney who is not skilled in their legal system, undoubtedly not entitled to practice in their court without special permission, and not fluent in their dialect of German just doesn't sound like the right approach.

EDIT: Your local attorney here in the US should be able to assist in getting him a lawyer in Austria. The US State Dept. Consular Office in Austria may also be able to offer assistance in getting him an attorney.

At this point, they can't keep him more than 30 days until they investigate the case. I made some research and if after these 30 days they don't have solid proves, they have to let him go. On the other hand, in any law on earth, you have to build a case to go in court. Do we have to worry about a trial?

1. Sponsored Links