Default Emancipation In New Mexico

im 16 and graduating high school in may in new mexico. when i start college i will be 17. as soon as graduation im moving out of my parents house. what are my rights? can i get married to someone older than me without parental consent?

Default Re: Emancipation In New Mexico

Quote Quoting lost&confused
    View Post
    im 16 and graduating high school in may in new mexico. when i start college i will be 17. as soon as graduation im moving out of my parents house. what are my rights? can i get married to someone older than me without parental consent?
    Graduating before you reach the age of majority doesn't give you any more rights than if you hadn't yet graduated.

You would need parental permission to marry as well as permission to move out of their home. They are legally responsible for you until you are a legal adult.

Quote Quoting Happy Trails
    View Post
    Graduating before you reach the age of majority doesn't give you any more rights than if you hadn't yet graduated.

You would need parental permission to marry as well as permission to move out of their home. They are legally responsible for you until you are a legal adult.
    but i dont need their permission to move if im going to college out of state

Well, actually, you do. They do not have to allow you to go to college out of state if they don't want you to.

Graduating from high school does NOT emancipate you. Turning 18 emancipates you.

then how come on some websites it says that i have to right to go to any college with or without their permission if i want to and that a diploma can get me emancipated

View Post
    then how come on some websites it says that i have to right to go to any college with or without their permission if i want to and that a diploma can get me emancipated
    It actually varies from state to state.

In your state, it's 18, full stop.

View Post
    You may not be understanding what is being said on the other websites or they are just plain wrong.

Not everything that is posted on a website is accurate. It may be something you want to hear, but that does not make it legally correct.

I'm curious what websites are writing such nonsense.

Exclamation Re: Emancipation In New Mexico

I am a 15 year old teenage girl, living in the state of new mexico and i'm looking into emancipation. I've been living with my boyfriend for almost a year now, and I think I'm ready. I've read up a bunch on emancipation and was wonderin' if there was any way I could get emancipated at the age of fifteen. I already make all my doctors apps and have a job babysitting. So i'm intersted in your advise!

astraa, you obviously are clueless about emancipation. It is VERY difficult to get emancipated and even so, you must be able to show you can support yourself, on your own, without your boyfriend's help. That means:
    Rent
    Food
    Utilities
    Transportation
    Medical Insurance
    Clothing
    Phone
    Etc.

And, at 15, continue going to school and pay school-related expenses as well. You think you can do that on babysitting wages? No how, no way, never.

Why the heck are you living with your boyfriend at 15? Where are your parents or legal guardians?

And no, there are only two states that will consider emancipating a 15 year old and New Mexico is neither of them.

1. Sponsored Links