Default Legality After High School

I live in Kansas and will be graduating high school in may but will be 17 will August when i will be going to college. I have a bf who is a few years older than me. My parents dont know because of the age factor and plus they dont like me dating anyways. So heres my question. After graduating, can they do anything to him or me legally? like press charges against him for dating me and anything else?

Default Re: Legality After High School

High school graduation does not confer any legal status on you except where child labor laws may be concerned.

Until you are 18, you are under the care and control of your parents and they determine who you may and may not see. If they say you cannot date him, then you cannot. They can get a restraining order against him and they can ground you if you do not comply. What other charges they may be able to make against your boyfriend depends on how much older he is.

This continues after your 18th birthday if they are still supporting you.

Courts don't hand out restraining orders merely because a parent asks for one - there have to be sufficient legal grounds for the issuance of a restraining order.

As for what continues after the minor turns 18? The parents' power of the pocketbook. If you don't follow their rules, they can cut you off.

Not just the pocketbook.

When you turn 18, parents have the ability to kick you out into the street and never provide another bit of emotional, financial or physical support.

In other words, emancipation works both ways.

Courts don't hand out restraining orders merely because a parent asks for one - there have to be sufficient legal grounds for the issuance of a restraining order.

I agree, but I don't think we have enough information to rule it either in or out.

Quote Quoting Kohman
    View Post
    I live in Kansas and will be graduating high school in may but will be 17 will August when i will be going to college. I have a bf who is a few years older than me. My parents dont know because of the age factor and plus they dont like me dating anyways. So heres my question. After graduating, can they do anything to him or me legally? like press charges against him for dating me and anything else?

The term "press charges" I am assuming you mean in a criminal law context?

There is no law about a 19 year old dating a 17 year old, however, if your parent's will not allow him to your home then he can not come over, since that may be trespassing.

The age of majority in Kansas is 18. IF you were 18 but still in high school, the parent's are still liable for your care, as far as any state I have ever read.

If you are asking what legal remedies your parents can take against him if he sees you outside thier request and not on your property?? Not too much as far as my criminal law knowlegde goes?? Is that an absolute certainty, I do not know?? If you were 13- 14, then the ground is quite shaky, but being 17 the police may view any continued relationship as a civil matter as far as any parental prohibition??

What "criminal law" is violated by a 19 year old seeing a 17 year old under parental control when the parents forbid it??? Readily, I am at a loss to find one?

IF you plan on living ON campus, then you see who you want to, as you are not on thier property, as long as the law is not crossed as far as age of consent status, if applicable in KS that is.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    I agree, but I don't think we have enough information to rule it either in or out.
    Civily cbg, I am thinking more in line of an temporary/permanent Injunction if any remedy is pursuable at all?

A RO is usually is based on a "safety" factor, such as in DV cases, stalking.

They may be interchangeable for appearance sake, as both can/do prohibit conduct.

Without looking at KS's statutes, I can not distinguish them though?

The poster is a minor. As such, the poster is legally under the care and control of her parents regardless of whether or not she has graduated from high school or not. That means when mom and dad say no, it's no. Poster has already claimed that they don't want her dating and they don't want her dating him. If they want to forbid it outright, they can. Saying, no, to a 17 year old doesn't mean that she can see him as long as she doesn't bring him home. It means she can't see him. At all. Not while she is under 18. Not while she is over 18 if they are still supporting her.

Her "boyfriend" is "a few years" older. That could mean he is 19 or 27. I wouldn't have a much of problem with my 17 year old daughter dating a 19 year old. I would have a serious problem with my 17 year old daughter dating a 27 year old.

While an RO is not likely, I still maintain we don't have enough details to completely rule it out.

1. Sponsored Links