Default Transfer Of Vehicle Registration To Another State and Sales Tax

In 2006, while maintaining a residence and working in the state of Pennsylvania, I purchased a new vehicle which I am currently making monthly car payments on. At the time of purchase, I was charged Pennsylvania sales tax on the vehicle. I now maintain a residence and work in New York and must transfer the registration of my vehicle to the state of New York, since I no longer have a residence in Pennsylvania. I have always had a New York state drivers license and never had a Pennsylvania license because I knew my time there was finite. My question is, when transferring the vehicle to NY state, am I required to pay full NY state sales tax on the price of the vehicle and try to get a refund from Pennsylvania? Or am I exempt from NY state tax and just continue to make payments as is? Or must I pay NY sales tax on the balance due on the car? I have not been able to get a clear answer from NY or PA DMV's. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Transfer Of Vehicle Registration To Another State & Sales Tax

Since the vehicle is already registered to you, you will not have to pay sales tax. You will have to pay property tax.

Default Re: Transfer Of Vehicle Registration To Another State and Sales Tax

Quote Quoting sackoz
    View Post
    In 2006, while maintaining a residence and working in the state of Pennsylvania, I purchased a new vehicle which I am currently making monthly car payments on. At the time of purchase, I was charged Pennsylvania sales tax on the vehicle. I now maintain a residence and work in New York and must transfer the registration of my vehicle to the state of New York, since I no longer have a residence in Pennsylvania. I have always had a New York state drivers license and never had a Pennsylvania license because I knew my time there was finite. My question is, when transferring the vehicle to NY state, am I required to pay full NY state sales tax on the price of the vehicle and try to get a refund from Pennsylvania? Or am I exempt from NY state tax and just continue to make payments as is? Or must I pay NY sales tax on the balance due on the car? I have not been able to get a clear answer from NY or PA DMV's. Please advise. Thanks in advance.
    Hi! Were you able to resolve your sales tax issues? I am in a similar situation - worked in PA, paid PA sales tax and would now like to register the car in NY. I had the car in PA for 1-1/2 years, do I still need to pay NY sales tax? Please advise.

Thanks bery much.

Default Re: Transfer Of Vehicle Registration To Another State and Sales Tax

hey bijou, you do realize this thread is over 1 year old, right? Not saying the OP won't come back but he has only posted that one post in total.

You would be best served by starting your own thread if you have a question.

1. Sponsored Links