Default Debt Collection

Hi, I am not sure if this is the right section for this posting, but it appeared to me to be the closest to the topic. I am in California, and would like to know if there is a way to collect a debt when there is no document to prove it. I lent money to a friend in good faith and now he refuses to pay it back. There was no contract or any other type of documented proof of the fact, only his verbal promise to pay it back. Do I have any recourse to recover my money?
    Thank you in advance for any help or guidance I can get.

Default Re: Debt Collection

I don't know how much money we are talking here. However; even though you have no proof you lent the money, you can *try* to get the money back by suing in small claims court. You can do this w/o a lawyer & sue for up to $7,500 in small claims court in Ca.

Default Re: Debt Collection

Hi Betty3!
    Thank you very much for your kind response and orientation to my inquiry, which I find very helpful. Since I am blank on all this situation, I would appreciate your light on this, if you do not mind. The amount in question is $5,000. I lent it to this "girlfriend" of mine as a way to help her to deal on her business' daily transactions and now she refuses to pay it back. I feel so frustrated and powerless. I have checked the web site for the small claims court in my state but it does not provide any clear light in regards of whether I can take her to court or not. It does certainly mention about the maximums you mentioned on your kind message, but no indication on whether it will be successful or not without a documented proof. If I have no proof of having lent that amount, how can I proof the judge my words? What are the chances for me to be successful if I take my case to that court? I really appreciate whatever orientation I can get from anyone here. Thanks beforehand.

1. Sponsored Links