Default 12 Year Old Shoplifted

My 12 year old daughter was caught shoplifting $0.60 worth of candy at the local gas station. The cops were called on her and spoke with my daughter. My husband found the cop that she spoke with and was told that the gas station was not pressing charges due to the fact it was less than a dollar. Well, we just recieved notice yesterday that charges are being pressed. We actually have a hearing set now for her later this month. Do we need to hire a lawyer? Not sure how these things work. She's generally a good kid and this was her first time shoplifting. And getting caught like she did, really did scare her. We're not condoning what she did, beleive me - she got into big trouble with us. However, can they really charge for so little?

Please advise!!!

Thank - tsssa from Michigan

Default Re: 12 Year Old Shoplifted... Help

Quote Quoting tsssa1127
    View Post
    My 12 year old daughter was caught shoplifting $0.60 worth of candy at the local gas station. The cops were called on her and spoke with my daughter. My husband found the cop that she spoke with and was told that the gas station was not pressing charges due to the fact it was less than a dollar. Well, we just recieved notice yesterday that charges are being pressed. We actually have a hearing set now for her later this month. Do we need to hire a lawyer? Not sure how these things work. She's generally a good kid and this was her first time shoplifting. And getting caught like she did, really did scare her. We're not condoning what she did, beleive me - she got into big trouble with us. However, can they really charge for so little?

Please advise!!!

Thank - tsssa from Michigan
    Yes, they can charge her. It would be a good idea to get a consult with a local attorney even though this is probably going to be in juvenile court. However, I'm sure it will make a huge impression on your daughter that stealing anything is wrong.

I get that what your daughter did was just a mistake, what I don't get is why the bastards would file charges on her. This in and of itself should be against the law. Tell me how much a 12 yr old will get from this (that is sarcasm, as I have one myself) more than what her parents will do and how is it cost effective to prosecute this?

What ever happened to the store owner handing the kid a broom and telling the kid to get sweeping the parking lot to pay for their mistake?

I would personally do everything that I could to protest the store. Media coverage, etc to put the pressure on him to drop the charges. Try and work something out to promote a solution to the both of you. A local attorney maybe able to help you out here. I could surely understand if it were even a teenager but this is just a child taking some candy.

I'm one of the guys who often gets criticized for telling people that they need lawyers. Here? I doubt a lawyer is necessary. Although she does have to go to court, assuming this is the only thing on her record, I doubt that there will even be an adjudication. Most likely the juvenile court will simply verify that she's a good kid with good parental supervision, and "bench" the case for a while pending dismissal.

I can't think of an instance where the media ran a "12 year old charged for stealing" story, let alone with a sense of outrage. Further, it's not up to the store owner whether or not a prosecution occurs - it's up to the prosecutor, and the prosecutor decided that it's worth pursuing.

Yes I was a bit out of line with the media coverage here, I just find it wrong, wrong, wrong! Must be an election year. All of this could have been handled a different way so that it didn't end up in the prosectors hands thats all that I'm saying.

Quote Quoting gigirle
    View Post
    Yes I was a bit out of line with the media coverage here, I just find it wrong, wrong, wrong! Must be an election year. All of this could have been handled a different way so that it didn't end up in the prosectors hands thats all that I'm saying.
    Gigrle - I completely agree that this incident was mishandled. But then, this is a 'gas station' and not an established retailer with any written policies or procedures.

As Mr. Knowitall wrote, this case will never be ajudicated, although I have seen a 12 year old placed in a detention center for shoplifting, but they had been brought to the attention of the Court previously for some very serious crimes.

You wrote in another post, 'What ever happened to the store owner handing the kid a broom and telling the kid to get sweeping the parking lot to pay for their mistake? That option flew out the door years ago when our society became 'lawsuit happy.'

As for my own personal experience - I was 10 years old when I got caught stealing a candy bar from the corner store. I lived in fear the store owner would tell my parents. That cured me. Times were different then.

Quote Quoting Security Consultant
    View Post
    You wrote in another post, 'What ever happened to the store owner handing the kid a broom and telling the kid to get sweeping the parking lot to pay for their mistake? That option flew out the door years ago when our society became 'lawsuit happy.'

As for my own personal experience - I was 10 years old when I got caught stealing a candy bar from the corner store. I lived in fear the store owner would tell my parents. That cured me. Times were different then.
    My mom caught me with a nightlight (yes, a nightlight, it was a really cool one - I liked to read after bedtime) when I was about 7 years old. I confessed to her that I stole it. She took me to the store manager(who she conspired with) and made me return it. He told me that I could be in big trouble and have to work in the store to pay them back because the light could no longer be sold. Said I could go to jail as well.

He told me that as long as I wrote a letter apologizing to the store owner he would see if they would go easy on me... LOL, I never stole anything again.

1. Sponsored Links