Default Uninsured Accident With Injuries, in Indiana

Last week I was in an auto accident in the state of Indiana. I tried to stop for an intersection, but was unable to because the street was slick and hit the vehicle in front of me. My truck's bumper hit above the car's bumper and caused a fair amount of damage. Even worse, the driver of the other vehicle was hurt. He was moving around alright, but he had a lot of neck pain. This is why I have insurance, right? So I called my insurance company to report my claim, only to discover that my policy had been cancelled last November because they never got my payment. I checked my bank statements for October, November, and December and confirmed my fate - they didn't get paid and I'm screwed.

I've read the laws on finincial responsibility for Indiana and know that it's $25k for personal injury and $10k for property damage. But what does this mean? If I work things out with his insurance company to repay up to $35k, am I still accountable for more if his damages are over the cap? Do I need to fear a judgement from both him and his insurance company? What's the best way to find a good lawyer for my situation? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Uninsured Accident With Injuries, in Indiana

Do I need to fear a judgement from both him and his insurance company?
    It's entirely possible. There's no way to predict, however, whether either of them will try to recover more damages.

What's the best way to find a good lawyer for my situation?
    Call your local Bar Association and ask for recommendations.

You certainly can be responsible for more than $35,000. It's according to the cost of damage to the car, cost of medical bills & possible pain/suffering claim.

I was in a same situation and there is nothing really you can do, just have to pay for the damages. I'm in it for 11k, not as much as 35k, but I have a question to the people here.

Can our(also the guy above me) liscence’s be suspended if we don't pay on time?

It's possible your license can be suspended for having no or inadequate insurance.

1. Sponsored Links