Default South Carolina Speeding Ticket, North Carolina License

Was wondering if someone could give me a hand with this one .. I was driving back to Raleigh from the Myrtle Beach area and got a ticket in SC, near the NC state line. 50 in a 35. I don't believe I was going 50, but there's no point in arguing over that, was in broad daylight on a dead wide open rural road. I have an NC license, NC tags, NC insurance. The officer told me the fine would be $180.50 ("4 point SC violation") but if I sent in a $125.00 money order he'd reduce the ticket to be 44 in a 35, and he wrote this (44/35 with the $125 fine) on the bottom of the ticket. Very odd that he'd write it on the summons that the ticket would be reduced. Regardless, a couple of questions:

1) My last speeding ticket was approx 2 years ago, 70 in a 55. I was issued this ticket the last time I was driving along the NC coast, but I had an NY license at the time. I believe this ticket unfortunately did transfer to NC when I got an NC license about a year ago, but for some reason my insurance premiums have not been affected.

2) Has anyone ever heard of a SC officer reducing the fine/violation on the spot if you pay it via mail? Any risks if I did so?

3) If I send in the $125 money order for the 9 over the limit violation in SC, would this transfer to NC with NC DMV points assessed and NC insurance points assessed? Or do less than 10 over the limit violations not transfer?

Thanks!

Smile Re: South Carolina Speeding Ticket, North Carolina License

Usually the cops are always trying to do things like this for people, not all of them are mean as dirt. But they would do that to you here in Raleigh (I unfortunatly live here too), when I went to court, when you checked in they were reducing your speed on your actual court documents and getting it lowered for you before you went before the judge. I thought that was kewl, but lord knows why. But if you were only going that much over, it's not too bad. I would pay the $125 and chances are it's really nothing, and it might go on your license depending on what SC wants to do. I would contact SC and see how they will handle this for your NC license. Good Luck!

Default Re: South Carolina Speeding Ticket, North Carolina License

The officer knows that a nine over is no insurance increase or points in NC. Getting this type of reduction is pretty standard in SC. You should be good with the 125. Be sure to get the money order to the court by your court date and to be certain you can put in a letter advising that you are pleading guilty to a 44/35 only.

Default Re: South Carolina Speeding Ticket, North Carolina License

Quote Quoting lwpat
    View Post
    The officer knows that a nine over is no insurance increase or points in NC. Getting this type of reduction is pretty standard in SC. You should be good with the 125. Be sure to get the money order to the court by your court date and to be certain you can put in a letter advising that you are pleading guilty to a 44/35 only.
    Hey - thanks very much! I just found this on an ncsu website with regard to insurance points in NC:

1 Point
    Speeding 10 mph or less in excess of a speed limit of less than 55 mph*
    Any other moving violation.
    Each at-fault accident that results in total damage of $ 1,800.00 or less *

*Points are not assigned for these violations unless the same driver has been convicted of at least one other moving violation during the experience period (the last three years).

Unfortunately, I do believe I have a conviction from about two years ago .. 70/55 noted above. Will a 44/35 out-of-state still not transfer to NC? Sometimes I wish NC simply published official guidance on this.

1. Sponsored Links