Default Changing Child's Name on the Birth Certificate

I am a father of a 3 year old girl who I love and have court ordered visitation with. I was not available at the time of birth due to incarceration. I tried without avail to get legal assistance. I never got to see her until I was out. Then the mother refused visitation with me so I tried to find help but found nothing but a brick wall because paternity was never established. Eventually after my daughter was almost 3 yrs old her mother filed for state assistance and was forced to file for paternity testing against me, which I was more than happy to comply with. I was determined to be the father and was subsequently awarded supervised visitation. Now over six months later I have been awarded with unsupervised visits. I say all this to give some background.
    My actual question is this: Can I get my daughters last name changed to my last name even if the mother objects to the change. And what do I have to do to have my name listed on the birth certificate as the father. I think that it is only right that every child should bear the fathers name except in extreme situations.

Default Re: Birth Certificate

Quote Quoting hgffrank
    Can I get my daughters last name changed to my last name even if the mother objects to the change.
    You would have to either obtain the mother's consent, or obtain a court order requiring the name change by demonstrating to the court that it is in the child's best interest to share your surname. That would be a high burden to meet.

Quote Quoting hgffrank
    And what do I have to do to have my name listed on the birth certificate as the father.
    You can download the form to correct a birth certificate here.

Default I know how you feel

I know how you feel I too am going to court to get my girls last names changed to mine well I'm going to try anyways. If you read my other post you'll see my story. I agree that all children should carry the father's names except in extreme situations.

To TChevy: I was just curious as to your reasons for your beliefs about a child's last name. I am not saying your right or wrong. Just trying to better understand your point of view.

every situation is different. In my case my children are carrying their mothers ex husbands last name. which she is no longer married to. she has even since remarried. I feel my children should carry my last name.not that of her ex husband.I even suggested to her that they carry her maiden name - my name.but she refuses this too saying that its not her maiden name its her adopted name that her mother gave to her and how upset she was that her mom didnt let her keep her fathers name. so in my eyes she is doing this out of spite.because she herself was upset that her own mother took her fathers name away from her.so why wouldnt she give our children my last name since i am the father.

As a mother trying to do the opposite, I too am very interested in your opinion. Would you please read the post "Changing child's name when deadbeat dad objects" and tell me whether you think this is an "extreme" case? I understand you will probably play the role of devil's advocate, but I need to know what I'm up against. Thanks!

I do feel for you - as much as I detest my child's father, I'm still participating in reunification therapy so that my child can know him. In addition, I've never said a bad word about him to my son. In the end, it's the child who is more important than either of us. And every child should at least have the opportunity to know their father, and be free to make their own judgements.

I know it's a long ways away, but when your girl is grown up she can make the decision for herself. That's what I tell myself anyway, in case I don't win it.

1. Sponsored Links