Question How To Obtain G4 Visa While Having 2-Year Home Residency Rule Under Previous J1 Visa

Hello,

I've recently finished an exchange academic program in U.S. university, which was sponsored by U.S. Department of States. Currently, I'm back to my home country and fulfilling a 2-year home residency requirement that is part of my J1 visa.

I was just offered a temporary employment in headquarters of World Bank in Washington, DC. To be specific a 2-year non-renewable employment contract. If I agree to accept this offer, I will have to apply for G4 visa.

Questions:

- Is there any chance to convince consul in local U.S. Embassy to postpone this 2-year home residency rule for a later time and obtain a G4 visa to temporarily work under abovementioned contract in U.S.?

- I've reviewed all 5 cases, when you are eligible for a waiver of 2-year rule, and I think I'm not elegible for any of them. Are there any other legal ways to obtain G4 visa in my case?

I would appreciate any information/advice from you guys. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Anonymous User

Default Re: How To Obtain G4 Visa While Having 2-Year Home Residency Rule Under Previous J1 V

Here's information (PDF) on obtaining a waiver. If you cannot obtain a waiver, you won't be eligible for a visa until you fulfill the home residency requirement.

Default Re: How To Obtain G4 Visa While Having 2-Year Home Residency Rule Under Previous J1 V

Dear Aaron!

On the website of U.S. Department of States it is clearly stated: "If the exchange visitor is subject to INA 212(e) requirement, he or she cannot change his or status to that of H, L, K, or immigrant lawful permanent resident (LPR) until he or she has returned to his/her home country for at least two-years or received a waiver of that requirement." Here is the link to a full text (http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_1296.html). As you can see, there is no mention about G type of visa! You should also keep in mind that G4 visa is a special visa for temporary employment in int'l organizations (like WHO, WB, UN). So, should I understanf from statement above that I can request to postpone fulfillment of 2-year home residency requirement to a later time?

Also, I know many cases, when visiting exchange students after expiration of their J1 visa with INA 212(e) requirement returned to their home countries and applied to F1 visa. In most cases they were granted F1 visa and U.S. Embassy postponed their 2-year home residency requirement to a later time. Should I consider the case with G4 visa to be the same?

Sincerely,

Anonymous User

1. Sponsored Links