Exclamation Public Defender Won't Return Calls

State: Florida

I have a Public Defender for a 1st Time misdemeanor DUI. My arrest was one week ago and my date in Court is Monday morning. However, besides a 30sec talk at my release hearing.. I haven't heard one word from her. I've left messages on her personal voice mail as well as the main office line - but have recieved no reply whatsoever.

My fear is that I will not hear from her, show up to the court date alone and may or may not see her there. I have none of the information I need in order to know or decide my actions. What can I do?

Should I call the prosecutor's office and ask for help? An extension?

Show up at the court and request a delay directy to the Judge?

If the defender doesn't show up, does that automatically entitle me to a delay?

Please advise!

Default Re: Public Defender Won't Return Calls

They, or someone from their office, will be there in the morning. If they are not, approach the defendants table when you are called out. Chances are they have several clients there for the calendar call.

If they are not there respectfully ask the Judge (Your Honor) for a continuance to work with your attorney. When they ask who it is, tell them the attorney's name from the Public Defender's office. The judge will likely talk to the person from the PDs office that is in court and have you talk to them. OR the judge may say, oh, Jim or Mr. Attorney is in Judge Anthony's court room this morning; let's wait for him to get here before we talk to you again. Generally they try to arrange the calendar calls for the different charges all on Monday. Misdemeanor in the AM, Felony in the PM, and Federal whenever the Federal judge pleases.

Generally the PD will work out a favorable plea deal with the prosecutor. This will be addressed by his/her Honor after calendar call.

Simply note that your attorney is not there.

Sorry for not responding sooner.

That was great advice, and worked very well. I'm now in contact with the attorney.

Thank you!

Can I ask what ended up transpiring?

1. Sponsored Links