Default Police Won't Return Seized Item

My firearm was stolen from my home in GA, and found agin in FL.
    I have filed all of the paperwork, and even had to send all of my previous case dispositions.

The case is now over, and it has been almost a year (I've been in constant contact).

They are now ignoring my calls, and if I call from an unkown number they hang up on me. I really want the firearm back due to principal, and I don't want them to bully me into giving up.

Do I have a case and need to hire an attorney?

Default Re: Police Won't Return Seized Item

Before you started hounding them, what reason did they give you for their holding the firearm?

Quote Quoting aaron
    View Post
    Before you started hounding them, what reason did they give you for their holding the firearm?

Initially it was due to the pending case, but that has been over and done with for awhile. The second reason was because I would not send them any information about past cases (actually sent me a warning letter). Once I complied, all contact ceased, so I've been contacing them.

Have they told you what you need to do to get the firearms back? Or, have they given you any other reason why they will not return them?

Chances are there is some sort of a clearance process you have to go through and you may not be able to do it from out of state. Florida has what may be the fewest firearm restrictions of ANY state, so I am surprised.

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    Have they told you what you need to do to get the firearms back? Or, have they given you any other reason why they will not return them?

Chances are there is some sort of a clearance process you have to go through and you may not be able to do it from out of state. Florida has what may be the fewest firearm restrictions of ANY state, so I am surprised.

- Carl
    They have all of the proof of ownership docs; previous misdomenior cases (they did a background check and wanted some things cleared up). I faxed proof of that mess all cleared up.

My file was sent from the seizure dept. (the rep. handling that was dismissed) to the legal dept. (not sure if that matters).

I'm thinking I should call the Florida Attorney General, but I don't know what to tell him, f it is even a good idea.

You might just need the added oomph of a FL attorney. I doubt the FL AG is going to jump right on your problem, so that may be a waste of time and effort.

It just occurred to me ... could the issue be over them mailing the weapons back? It is possible that they cannot ship them out of state.

Have you asked, specifically, "What do I need to do or provide to get my guns back if I pick them up."

- Carl
    Retired Cal Cop Sergeant & Teacher

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM

I've spoken with her again (2 weeks ago), and she stated that the firearm is under some type of review (to be released), and she should have a decision by Friday (2/29). Well it's 3/12 and still no answer.

This has been going on for almost a year after the case went to trial.

between here and there, but you can't here from there

I had a similar problem. Gun stolen in Ga and the local police {Ga} delayed return. I went with copies of everything sent to them proving ownership and got my gun back right then. If it isn't too far, it may well be worth the drive to try to get it in person. Be sure to bring copies of all documents that they requested and you sent. If they refuse again, hire a local atty

They probably don't know where it is......

1. Sponsored Links