Post Suspension Due to Old Speeding Tickets

I received a speeding ticket in NY in 2000. On the day I received the ticket I mailed in the ticket with a Not Guilty Plea and requested a written deposition to be mailed to my current address. I sent the ticket and a letter certified return receipt to the address on the ticket. I have never heard anything back from the court. In 2005 I moved to NJ. I recently needed a non-drivers ID from NY and I had to go to the NY department of motor vehicles, at that point I was told that my NY license was suspend in October of 2006. What do I need to do next to resolve this issue?

Default Re: Old Speeding Tickets

Do you still have the return receipt? Call the court and find out what happened and try to get the case reopened. Good luck unless you hire an attorney.

Cheaper option may be to pay the court and then pay the DMV to have you license reinstated. This may really cost you in insurance premiums/surcharges so check before you go that route.

Yes I have all the return receipts.

What did the clerk of court say? Do they have a record of the deposition and court date in their files? It sounds like you may have moved and did not get the letters? It is very hard to get information or even contact some NY courts. You may have to pay them a personal visit.

Yes I moved but when ever I did I informed the NY DMV. I never to this day have recieved any letter from the courts.

You are required to notify the court when you have a case pending. Notifying the DMV is not sufficient.

Cool Re: Old Speeding Tickets

Thanks for all of your help, I was able to get the case reopened and I took care of my past ticket. My license suspension was lifted after I paid my fine.

1. Sponsored Links