Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Federal Government Job Offer Rescinded

On 14 January 2008, I was formally advised by the US Army's Civilian Personnel Advisory Center-Heidelberg (CPAC Heidelberg), Germany that I was tentatively selected for a permanent, full-time Management Analyst position in Heidelberg, Germany. I was eligible to apply for this position under the Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (pending retirement from the armed forces effective 1 Feb 08).

I accepted the tentative offer, filled out all necessary paperwork as requested and returned it almost a week prior to the suspense date.

However, I was formally advised by the same office on 23 January that CPAC Heidelberg could not continue with the offer, and it was rescinded. The attached formal letter cited the reason for recission was "per management request" and I was unable to get any further information from the office.

This action seems to be out of the ordinary. From what I understand, recissions of job offers are usually the result of unfavorable information gleaned from investigations, or the candidate's unwillingness/inability to comply with pre-employment requirements. The only two pre-employment conditions imposed on me were a NACI background check (I already have an active, current Top Secret SCI) and a current driver's license.

Having this offer rescinded during this timeframe created a rather painful and somewhat expensive hardship for myself and my family.

Do you have any insight on on what constitutes a "per management request" recission within the federal government? Can the Army or any other federal agency rescind an offer any time it wishes?

Thanks -

Default Re: Federal Government Job Offer Rescinded

Can the Army or any other federal agency rescind an offer any time it wishes?
    Yes, just like any other employer. They did specify that it was a tentative offer.

As to why it was rescinded, there isn't any way to guess. Each circumstance is different - the position may have been filled by a candidate with better qualifications, or the position may have been eliminated.

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    Yes, just like any other employer. They did specify that it was a tentative offer.

As to why it was rescinded, there isn't any way to guess. Each circumstance is different - the position may have been filled by a candidate with better qualifications, or the position may have been eliminated.
    ??

Do you have a regulation or statute which states they can? I haven't been able to find that anywhere. I have seen in the Army civilian personnel regulations that they can rescind an offer, tentative or otherwise, for cause. They can't do so just because they feel like it.

In the federal government, tentative offers are not made to more than one person for the same job. Also, if they had eliminated the position, they would have stated that the announcement was cancelled for that reason.

It's not that a law or regulation states they can; it's that no law or regulation says they can't.

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    It's not that a law or regulation states they can; it's that no law or regulation says they can't.
    What the heck is that supposed to mean?

I'm at the wrong web site...

Do you work for the Fed?

Quote Quoting MCGREER
    View Post

cbg's answer is correct and accurate and also clear and plain.

Let me try to rephrase it.

There is no statute, law, ordinance, etc. which prohibits the federal government from rescinding a job offer.

Quote Quoting MCGREER
    View Post

Do you work for the Fed?

I tend to agree with CBG, but you can research some yourself under employment and retention and any applicable case law in the United States Code Annotated (USCA):

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h..._5_10_III.html

Quote Quoting MCGREER
    View Post
    They can't do so just because they feel like it.
    Yes, yes they can.

Just like any other employer.

There are no special laws that prohibit the government - or any other employer - from rescinding a job offer.

Quote Quoting MCGREER
    View Post
    Were you expecting to be given something other than facts?

Quote Quoting seniorjudge
    View Post
    cbg's answer is correct and accurate and also clear and plain.

Let me try to rephrase it.

There is no statute, law, ordinance, etc. which prohibits the federal government from rescinding a job offer.
    That is absolutely incorrect.

For openers, there are laws on the books prohibiting discrimination in hiring for various reasons.

Read about other prohibited personnel practices here. http://www.osc.gov/ppp.htm#q1

So now, what, exactly, are you citing? Come on...

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    Yes, yes they can.

Just like any other employer.

There are no special laws that prohibit the government - or any other employer - from rescinding a job offer.

Were you expecting to be given something other than facts?
    Well, it's usually a good idea to not attempt to offer any type of specific advice (which I asked for) if you have nothing credible to offer.

Without specifics, all you're offering is your personal opinion. And opinions are strikingly similar to a certain part of the human anatomy. Can you guess what that is?

I was an inspector for the USAF for four years; as such, I was considered a subject matter expert in my field of endeavor. I would have gotten laughed out of the room if I ever thought I could tell someone something without backing it up with verifiable, credible fact. And in this instance, I'd expect to see something like that.

If you can't do that, you're more credible with a simple "I don't know" than offering something of no substance.

There is no substance here - yet. So, I figure I'm in the wrong place.

And, when you have a chance, hit the link I sent to the guy above. I don't think you know much of anything about the Fed - do you?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast