Default Employment Record Check, Shoplifting With 6 Month Good Behavior Bond

I faced court in 1999 on shoplifting charges in australia. I was university student at that time and going under lot of trauma due to sudden unnatural demise of my close family members and above that I couldn’t even attend their funeral. I was really depressed and did something which I regret till date. I walked out of store wearing a jacket without paying for it. The total value was 100+ Australian Dollars. I was stopped by security personnel and then followed him. They called the cops who took me to the police station took my pictures, interrogated me and then finger printed me. After 2 hours I was released. Later that year I was called to the court and received six month good behavior bond which I kept and no conviction was recorded.
    That incidence has completely shaken me from inside. It’s been more than 8 years but I still can’t regain my full confidence. Even after scoring top score at the university I am still afraid to apply to the leading companies in the area of my expertise as I am not sure if that will hinder my job prospects.

(1) Now I want to work in USA but afraid if my future employer can find that out. Will that be displayed in Record Check for the engineering Job in a private firm? The companies I am planning to apply are not defense or government owned.
    (2) Will I be able to get entry into USA?
    (3) The offence occurred when i was 22 so does that mean it will never be erased? I remember reading somewhere that after 10 years it will not show up. But i am not quite sure if that is correct?

Please suggest me. There is not a single day when I do regret doing that horrible mistake. Wish I could turn the wheel back.

Default Re: Employment Record Check, Shoplifting With 6 Month Good Behavior Bond

I faced court in 1999 on shoplifting charges in australia. I was university student at that time and going under lot of trauma due to sudden unnatural demise of my close family members and above that I couldn’t even attend their funeral. I was really depressed and did something which I regret till date. I walked out of store wearing a jacket without paying for it. The total value was 100+ Australian Dollars. I was stopped by security personnel and then followed him. They called the cops who took me to the police station took my pictures, interrogated me and then finger printed me. After 2 hours I was released. Later that year I was called to the court and received six month good behavior bond which I kept and no conviction was recorded.
    That incidence has completely shaken me from inside. It’s been more than 8 years but I still can’t regain my full confidence. Even after scoring top score at the university I am still afraid to apply to the leading companies in the area of my expertise as I am not sure if that will hinder my job prospects.

(1) Now I want to work in USA but afraid if my future employer can find that out. Will that be displayed in Record Check for the engineering Job in a private firm? The companies I am planning to apply are not defense or government owned.
    (2) Will I be able to get entry into USA?
    (3) The offence occurred when i was 22 so does that mean it will never be erased? I remember reading somewhere that after 10 years it will not show up. But i am not quite sure if that is correct?

Please suggest me. There is not a single day when I do regret doing that horrible mistake. Wish I could turn the wheel back

(4) I read about pardon or expungement but can't understand what exactly that means. Do I need to do something to get that before I move to USA? Please do let me know the procedure to get that for 8 year old shoplifting case at Australia in which i recieved good behavior bond for 6 months. I will really appricate that.

On my police certificate when applying for Permanent Residency of australia few years ago after that incident it states "no disclosable incident". But when i applied for australian citizenship it showed up on their search. Moreover I read somewhere that after 10 years it will be erased does that mean expungement? will that happen automatically or do i need to do something for that?

As i was found guilty for "Theft" even though it was Shoplifting and given 6 month Good Behaviour bond back in 1999 that I kept. Now do i need to apply for "expungement" or "Pardon"?

(5) Does Theft and shoplifting same thing? As theft sound more grave.

According to my understanding expungement means that i don't need to reveal it on the application asking if i was ever arrested or have criminal record? Or do i still need to reveal it even after 10 years?

I am planning to move to usa later this year. Please Please help me......

Default Re: Employment Record Check, Shoplifting With 6 Month Good Behavior Bond

sorry forgot to add. No Conviction was recorded.

1. Sponsored Links