Question Can I Be Sued For This In South Dakota?

The situation is this...she is angry. He hasn't left her, but is considering it. I have not encouraged him, and I have actually managed to get him to stay with his wife a year longer than he was willing, and see a marriage therapist. He still wants to leave and wants to be a part of my life. Because of this, she is talking about sueing me for everything I own, whether or not they divorce. Can she do this? What is she allowed to ask for? Do I stand a chance in this? She's hoping to get my home from myself and my two children and aging mother...could she? Should I be seeking legal help immediately?

Just as an added opinion...this has to be one of the most archaic and demeaning laws of which I have ever heard. It really isn't much more adult than stoning a person to death in the streets for stealing your donkey, is it?

Default Re: Can I Be Sued For This In South Dakota?

Can she do this?
    Yes. It's called alienation of affection, and in the 9 states that still allow such suits to be brought, the courts are awfully generous.

The courts won't cotton much to your patting yourself on the back for telling him to work on his marriage while you're still seeing him, either. If you truly want to protect yourself, boot him out of your life.

1. Sponsored Links