Default Cashed Checks Without Knowing They Were Stolen

Hello i seek advice.We livee in connecticut. my lovely step daughter left our home when she was 17. She hook up with a friend who knew this women.Not sure how the story goes but i guess they help babysit the womens kids all summer long at the end of summer the lady sent my step-daughter by mail 3 checks in her name. She apperently went and cash them.2 years go by and now detectives came looking for her and her friend. They told them that they work for the lady and the lady paid them by checks and they cash them. they didn't think they did anything wrong. The detctives wanted the girls to sign there statement, but they told them that they were going to be issued warrant for there arrest. When this happens they would be arrested and taken to court where a judge would either give them a pta, or a bond.Step-daughter has never been in trouble with the law.She also has ADHD.I think they were taken advantage off. WE cannot afford a lawyer..
    Can anyone advice us how to handle this situation???????????????
    Thank you alexana

Default Re: Cashed Checks Without Knowing They Were Stolen

can she afford a lawyer? If not, one will be appointed to represent her. She will have to request it when she is arraigned.

I would suggest she not sign anything nor make any (more)statements to the police/prosecutors office without an attorney.

why not sign the statement ? doesn't her statement shows the court thaat she cooperated with police and the statement would describe that she didn't do anything let alone she knew that the checks were stolen!!!!!
    We can't provide a attorney so i will tell her to get a appoited attorney

the police are interested in solving a case, they are not interested in the well being or best interest of your daughter. She should have the advice of an attorney before signing anything unless she understands exactly what she is signing and what any implications of it are.

Since nobidy here is privy to exactly what is within the statement, nobody here can offer much else.

I apperciate everything your telling me. Can you tell me what is going to happen? Will they give her a bond? How much? Will they give her a promise to appear? She's never been in trouble before. This is her first time in trouble with the law and she also has a kid.

1. Sponsored Links