Default Changing Your Mind About A Plea Bargain

This is just a question of curiosity as I've read some threads and wondering if it can apply to my friend's situation. Oddly enough, it's the boyfriend of the first friend I was inquiring about in the domestic violence case in washington. They are both friends of mine and I have not shared the information I've received from either of them with the other as I am trying not to be a middleman and let them come to their own conclusions and make their own decisions, so I will treat this as a separate issue, but I just wanted to bring that tidbit to light in case anything in my questions of my first friend would be of relevant information to these new questions.

So, this second friend, the boyfriend, was offered a plea bargain and turned it down. He was offered again and turned that down as well. He missed his court date, and has a warrant. He says he wants to resolve the issue but doesn't want to turn himself in and end up sitting in jail until they figure out what they're going to do or get new court dates set up. My question is this:

Can he change his mind now about a plea bargain and/or possibly work something out to get the ball rolling again without having to turn himself in? My thought maybe was if he suggested to his lawyer that he talk to the prosecuting attorney and agree to take the plea bargain if they agree not to make him sit in jail until the new court dates are issued. Or something along those lines. Is that possible?

And one other question, since I'm already in this thread:

I imagine its worse to get caught then to turn yourself in or at least willingly try to resolve the issue... how much worse is it to get caught? What could be expected? For that matter, what can be expected if he turns himself in and they find him guilty? (As in what is most commonly sentenced in a guilty dv case?)

Oh, I'm sorry. One more question:

Also, I guess his lawyer told him that if he doesn't plead guilty and there is no witness, then eventually they will probably drop the case. But I guess it had been continued and continued, how long will they continue it before they drop it and is it really LIKELY in a dv case? Or just a chance?

Default Re: Changing Your Mind About A Plea Bargain

There is no magical crystal ball here that will determine what is likely to happen to this person.

If he doesn't want to get picked up on his warrant and tossed in the pokey, he needs to talk to his attorney about what he needs to do.

He may not find much sympathy or willingness to work out a deal from the prosecutor now that he's turned down two plea bargains AND skipped his court date.

1. Sponsored Links