Question Caught in an Online Email Scam

I was wondering if anyone else has been caught up in this email scam? I got $2000 in travelers checques back in october from an employer through the internet and i took them to the bank down the road from my house and they said since i didnt have an account with them that all they could cash wash $1000. then about 2-3 weeks later ithe police showed up at my house to arrest me on forgery. on the way to jail i explained to the officers how i had got them and they felt sorry for me but still took me to jail. STATE JAIL FELONY CHARGE IN TEXAS. well i seen the judge at the jail to get my bond set and i explained what had happened and she set my bond at $2000 instead of $100,000. I havent got my court date yet. But really hoping to get this case dropped. I am scared because i have 3 small children. Does anybody have any ideas of what i can do? I have evidence(envelopes from fedex and ups and more checks.

Default Re: Online Email Scam

Quote Quoting SDCF81
    View Post
    I was wondering if anyone else has been caught up in this email scam? I got $2000 in travelers checques back in october from an employer through the internet and i took them to the bank down the road from my house and they said since i didnt have an account with them that all they could cash wash $1000. then about 2-3 weeks later ithe police showed up at my house to arrest me on forgery. on the way to jail i explained to the officers how i had got them and they felt sorry for me but still took me to jail. STATE JAIL FELONY CHARGE IN TEXAS. well i seen the judge at the jail to get my bond set and i explained what had happened and she set my bond at $2000 instead of $100,000. I havent got my court date yet. But really hoping to get this case dropped. I am scared because i have 3 small children. Does anybody have any ideas of what i can do? I have evidence(envelopes from fedex and ups and more checks.
    Yes, these types of jobs that sound too good too be true, are scams.

You get a check, cash it, get a money order and send it somewhere for them, and you get to keep a portion of the money for your work?

The problem is, you are sending them a real money order and by the time it is found out that the one you cashed was phony, they are long gone with the real money. Leaving you on the hook to pay back the funds, and in your situation, left to face criminal charges as well.

You need to consult with an attorney, if you can not afford one, hopefully you will qualify for a public defender.

Related links:

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30045

http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22503

http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/...tion_scams.htm

You will find plenty more by using the search function at this site.

Also, since the email was online, keep any electronic evidence, including emails, and talk to your lawyer about whether and how it should be provided. That being said, the fraudsters may disappear, even if they set up shop later somewhere else, under different names and addresses. Things like IP addresses give a clue on one's physical location, but if, for instance, they were operating out of an apartment and the address is found, they may have moved. And unfortunately, the fact is that you got involved in their scheme, even if you did not want to commit fraud yourself.

Lots of people get caught up in this type of scam. More details are here.

1. Sponsored Links