Exclamation Orders Of Protection Against Ex

About three years ago, I moved in with my boyfriend who up until that time had been very good to me. The relationship quickly deteriorated and he became increasingly abusive, usually emotionally, (sometimes physically but I have no proof of it) throwing away and destroying my things. I found out a year and a half ago that he lied about his age, he is ten years older than he said, and heard tonight from a relative who is a retired police officer that said ex boyfriend has multiple orders of protection against him in numerous states.

My question is, armed with this new information, do I then have a chance of legally getting off our apartment lease? I have been told it isn't possible without his consent since we both signed (in FL) but didn't know if fear of him could entitle me to be released from an obligation to be tied to him in any way.

Default Re: Orders Of Protection Against Ex

Fear of him might be enough to get your own order of protection against him, effectively removing him from the apartment. But the other issues aren't going to impact your lease. How long is the lease, and how much time is left on it?

Post Re: Orders Of Protection Against Ex

First off I just want to thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. I've been going around in circles trying to get some straight answers for several months now until I found this site.

It's up in April, the lease was for 12 months. I know it'll be over soon. I've spoken with the leasing office and have been told all of my options involve his consent. I have also been having huge money issues (which I realize is completely my responsibility ) and may not realistically be able to afford to pay this lease.

What I was hoping to do is to cut all ties with him. And with his personality and erratic past behavior I really don't know how effective my own order of protection will be.

I forgot to mention I am not residing in said apartment. I moved back with my parents to get away from him and to save money by eliminating utility bills.

I don't understand what you meant by the other issues not impacting the lease. In other words, do I not have the option to terminate this lease at all?

Quote Quoting kaye22
    View Post
    I forgot to mention I am not residing in said apartment. I moved back with my parents to get away from him and to save money by eliminating utility bills.

I don't understand what you meant by the other issues not impacting the lease. In other words, do I not have the option to terminate this lease at all?
    Explain the situation to the LL and see if he will let you out of your contract. If the ex sues you for your portion of rent your could, if there is proof, argue "constructive eviction". But you would have to be able to prove that he was destroying your belongings...Did you ever file a complaint with the police?

I did not. That was probably the biggest mistake I've made.

Looking for FL leasing laws hasn't been too helpful, in addition to finding what could constitue a restraining order since I have absolutely no physical proof of anything he's done.

Quote Quoting kaye22
    View Post
    I did not. That was probably the biggest mistake I've made.

Looking for FL leasing laws hasn't been too helpful, in addition to finding what could constitue a restraining order since I have absolutely no physical proof of anything he's done.
    Then you are going to have to cross your fingers and hope that the ex doesn't sue you. But your safety is the most important thing. Bite the bullet and pay the bill. Safety first!! Really!

1. Sponsored Links