Default Legal Ramifications of MIP Convictions

About 12 of us are at prom weekend in NJ, and 11 of us are either 18 or 17 within a few months of the 18th b-day, however one person is 16.
    What are the legal liabilities the 18 yr olds have over alcohol consumption/possession in a rented house?
    Is it any "more illegal" for the 17/16 yr olds to be drinking?
    Is the person who signs the lease/contract for the rental responsible for what goes on, even if they have no idea about it?
    Also, if there are no complaints, and everybody is inside the home, can police enter and make arrests?
    I would just like all the legal ramifications of what would happen explained so i can make the best case possible for the mix of activities; drinking or not drinking related.

Default Re: What Legal Remifications Could There Be For 18 Yr Olds In NJ?

also: in nj can an 18 yr old transport closed alcohol in the trunk of a car if they are not under the influence of anything?

Default Re: What Legal Remifications Could There Be For 18 Yr Olds In NJ?

What are the legal liabilities the 18 yr olds have over alcohol consumption/possession in a rented house?
    NJ Underage Alcohol Penalties
    Possession or consumption of alcohol by someone under the legal age is a disorderly persons offense, with a maximum penalty of up to 6 months in jail if found guilty.

More typically, you are facing fines of at least $500, enrollment in a alcohol program and/or probation.

Also, if the incident happens in a car or motor vehicle, you are facing a license suspension of 6 months, or even longer if the defendant is under 17.

The 18 yr olds will be charged as adults and the ones under 18 will likely go thru juvie court.
    Is it any "more illegal" for the 17/16 yr olds to be drinking?
    There is no such thing. It's illegal period. Usually the parents have to be involved with minors.
    Is the person who signs the lease/contract for the rental responsible for what goes on, even if they have no idea about it?
    Generally yes.
    Also, if there are no complaints, and everybody is inside the home, can police enter and make arrests?
    You have no way of knowing if someone made a complaint and the police have a right to investigate suspicious activity. Once they believe there is cause, your toast.
    I would just like all the legal ramifications of what would happen explained so i can make the best case possible for the mix of activities
    This would be best discussed with your attorney. If you don't have one, get one regardless of whether or not your the 16 or 18 yr old. You are too young to have this on your record and can haunt you for a long time. If college is in your future, some states have made it so that you are cut off from state financial financial aide (I don't know if NJ is one of them) if convicted of alcohol related charges.

If your interested, here is the official statue:
    http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2000/Bi...000/692_i1.pdf
    Good luck

1. Sponsored Links