Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Forced To Sign A Quit Claim Deed When I Was Under 21

When I was under 21 years of age my mother forced me to sign a quit claim of my share of the property to her and her husband. I say forced because she not take me to an attorney's office where I could have asked questions and she also physically threatened me. I stopped visiting my mother a few years after that because of her and her husband's conduct towards me. I have recently been told that my mother is turning the house into a firetrap with piles of stuff in the kitchen, etc., when I had previoiusly been led to believe that after his death her husband's nephew was looking out for her. The property and house were meant to pass from my grandmother, especially, to me as an inheritance as she only had the land to pass, no money. How can I reclaim what is rightfully mine?

Default Re: What To Do

The property and house were meant to pass from my grandmother, especially, to me as an inheritance as she only had the land to pass, no money.
    Not only was it meant, but it happened. You then in turn gave it away ... to your mother.
    You can ask her for it back, try talking to her. She may not be able to take care of herself (as she is living in a fire trap). Find out what her intentions are with the house. She has legal right to do with it /leave it to whom she wishes.

Default Re: Forced To Sign Quitclaim When I Was Under 21

define; under 21

and how old are you now?

I was about 19 - but it was an extremely naive 19 given that I had been severely abused as a child. That abuse continued as I got older. My mother and her husband demanded weekly visits wherein I was treated like a prisoner and then my step father began making sexual demands. This was on top of the fact that they both participated in stalking me - something I was initially unaware of but which they bragged about behind my back. (Had I not signed I honestly don't know if I would still be alive today and I am positive my step father would have raped me any time he felt like it.) They would not get counselling and saw nothing wrong with their own behavior so I was forced to stop visiting for my own safety. I am about 50 now and my mother is about 80. My mother does not want me to visit her now (she refused to open the door when two of my cousins went to visit her), little wonder given the condition of the house, but she continues to send me hate mail and stalks me when I visit relatives in the area. The whole of this situation goes past what she intends to do with the property upon her death - I need to know how to save the place before she sets it on fire either accidentally or intentionally and re-establish my name on the property where it belongs.

this was 30 years ago?

give it up. it is no longer rightfully yours if for no other reason, you failed to take any action in the past 30 years.

It is her house and you have no say in how she treats it.

I need to know how to save the place before she sets it on fire either accidentally or intentionally
    If you feel that she is unfit to live by herself and that she is in danger, contact the APS in your area and file a report, she will not know it's you who made the call.

Default Re: Forced To Sign A Quit Claim Deed When I Was Under 21

What those of you who have replied do not understand are the problems I have had over the years in trying to deal with three people who abused me. My mother, my natural father and my step-father. Do you have any idea what it is like to be slapped around and threatened by people who thought nothing of keeping guns close at hand? My mother is not the nice old lady she makes out to be in public. If you have never dealt with such a horrendous situation don't judge me for not having been able to go up against them. Now that my mother is in her 80's she is still stalking me. She is mental. But if you met her on the street you would think she is the nicest old lady you ever met. My concern at this point is that I don't want her burning the house down and, if there is slightest chance to do so at the same time, re-establish my name on the property. There is no APS in her area - if that is even what it is called.

At the age of 19, you were a legal adult.

Waiting over 30 years to try and undo something that you are claiming to have done under duress, is far past the statute of limitations.

If you post what state and county you live in I can let you know where call to let them know you think your mother may burn down her house.

A starting point would be appreciated in Litchfield County CT.
    And, for those of you reading, while laws now say 18, back then it was 21. Why else do you think they threatened me into sign before I turned 21? We are not discussing nice people. These two people, my mother and step-father, committed other fraudulent acts. Someone else they had hurt attempted to take them to task and was essentially blackballed. But now that it is just my mother I might have a chance, hopefully before she has a catastrophic injury or burns the house down.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast