Default Breaking A Lease Due To Joining The Military In Texas

my husband has sworn into the military and is leaving for basic training next week. our landlord has refused to give us our deposit back. we have lived here not even 2 months and have paid for this month in full even though our last day of residence will be monday. I understand them taking money out of the deposit for cleaning but is it legal for them to keep the entire thing??

Default Re: Breaking A Lease Due To Joining The Military-texas

You will have to look at your lease contract. As the landlord may have stated in the contract that the deposit is for cleaning. If the apartment is not cleaned to his standards.

How ever he can not keep the deposit because of the breaking of the lease. Due to Joining the Military. Your Husband is protected by other laws on that part.

How ever if your named on the lease as well then he can keep the deposit for breaking the lease because you are not joining the military. It is a catch 22. I dealt with this when I was on active duty a few times.

Default Re: Breaking A Lease Due To Joining The Military In Texas

there is nothing in the lease that they can keep it for cleaning purposes or anything. I (the spouse) never signed the lease although my name is listed on it. I understand her keeping a portion of the deposit for cleaning because we have lived in the apt and have a 16 month old daughter but I can guarantee its not 300$ worth. thanks for the input : )

1. Sponsored Links