Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default When Is Debt Delinquent

First of many questions (i'll do each seperately):
    a doctor did not send an invoice to me until they filed for a notice of collection. That notice was sent 11/15/2007. Attorney does not deny they never sent me an invoice. They did invoice my insurance as a non-network doctor. I did call them to inquire about a bill and call were never returned. Lawyer does not disagree that they did not send a bill to me.

I disagreed with amount immediately orally and in writing within 3 days of receipts as it was not reasonable. I never refused to pay, in fact i always agreed to pay based upon Reasonable amounts.

Attorney files lawsuit on 12/24/2007 only 39 days after receipt of invoice.

Is there a requirment of when a debt can be filed for collection as i would think it would need to be delinquent first? Is 39 days delinquent? Any place I can find legal definitions and requirements to sue for medical collections?

Default Requirement Of Invoice

Doctor as previously written fails to bill me and only sent invoices through insurance although they were out of network.

Doctors bill does not include doctors name, nor a phone number. Firs bill received shows payments past due. Bill shows and insurance amount due and not a patient amount due.

What are the legal requirments of a proper invoice. What are legal steps for invoicing a consumer to bring a debt to collection?

I think pertinent facts were missing, doctor name (they did put his office which does not have his name), a patient balance due, contact phone number.

Doctor does not accept any insurance so there is no reason he would have an insurance amount due on his bills.

Thanks.

Default Re: When Is Debt Delinquent

Please do not post a bunch of separate questions on the same subject. If it is a non-network doctor then you are responsible for the bills. If you do not agree with the billing, you need to go into their office and discuss the charges. Hard to claim you do not know who they are when they furnished medical treatment.

Usually you can work out a settlement agreement. Try talking to them in person rather than ignoring the invoices.

I thought the questions were not all related and easier seperated. They are not the same questions. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry.

i did not ignore any invoices. They ignored contacting and returning messages to me. They did not return many calls in the beginning about the sutures dissolving overnight and request for a follow up visit then they didn't call me back when i asked about getting a bill to pay them....

The first bill I got was a collection letter. They admit they did not send me any bills except to my insurance company. Do you pay people who don't bill you?

Please don't say I ignored them. I pay all my bills and this is a first that is well in excess of reasonable (over 4grand for 2 stitches). The law says they have to prove reasonable.

The question is when are they legally allowed to file for collection? There must be a law against taking me to court in less than 40 days of invoice.

I also want to know the legal requirements of an invoice and for notifying customers of delinquency. I have done searches to no avail.

Thank you.

Did you not receive an explanation of benefits from your insurance company indicating the Doc was not in network?

I did and I called them and they didn't call me back. Once again they never billed me and admit they only contacted and went through my insurance company. I'm supposed to research the doctor and mail a payment to an address that I'm not sure of without a patient id, invoice or anything? Isn't the doctor required to send me a bill and notify me of delinquencies? He kept contacting the insurance company even though he wasn't in my insurance. that was stupid on their part. I was specifically told by the insurance company to cash the checks and the doctor should bill me, and I called twice my insurance company and twice the doctor with no bill sent.

Quote Quoting maglib
    View Post
    I did and I called them and they didn't call me back. Once again they never billed me and admit they only contacted and went through my insurance company. I'm supposed to research the doctor and mail a payment to an address that I'm not sure of without a patient id, invoice or anything? Isn't the doctor required to send me a bill and notify me of delinquencies? He kept contacting the insurance company even though he wasn't in my insurance. that was stupid on their part. I was specifically told by the insurance company to cash the checks and the doctor should bill me, and I called twice my insurance company and twice the doctor with no bill sent.

the EOB comes from your insurance company, not the Doc. The EOB will have the name and address of the provider of service (the Doc).

OHHHHHHHHH so you received $$$$$ from your insurance company????? When did you receive payment from the insurance company? Did you attempt payment to the Doc within 30 days of receiving the insurance payment? Yet, again....he is under no obligation to accept the insurance company's payment as payment in full. Remember that the Doc rendered service in May 2007.

I told you that I did call and left messages to the PS billing office and they were not returned. That was my attempt to get an invoice so I could pay. i also thought immediately that they billled for the wrong services as the cut was only 1cm and to the corner of his lip while the invoice said up to 1/2" full vermillion. It was 2 stitches that he gave him.

The EOB does not have the doctors name nor its billing address. It has his company name he works for. Once again, I questioned the cost immediately and called the doctors billing departmenr and the insurance company about what to do on numerous occasions. Doctors officed did not call me back, they kept calling the insurance company. The insurance company told me to cash the checks and await billing. So do you pay bills that you haven't gotten? I assumed the amounts were wrong and the codes were wrong and called, am i supposed to hunt down a doctor so i could pay him. He has to bill me.

Why do you keep on insinuating anything otherwise? I have excellent credit and this is the first time anyone implies otherwise. I will bring my credit report to court as proof (thanks for the advice on that). i paid everyone else as they sent me bills.

Quote Quoting maglib
    View Post
    I told you that I did call and left messages to the PS billing office and they were not returned. That was my attempt to get an invoice so I could pay. i also thought immediately that they billled for the wrong services as the cut was only 1cm and to the corner of his lip while the invoice said up to 1/2" full vermillion. It was 2 stitches that he gave him.

[B]One more time......there is no code that can be appropriately applied for smaller than that. Two stiched can adequately close a full thickness laceration to the lip. They don;t use more than that to allow drainage because it's in the mouth, which is considered a breeding ground for germs.[B]

The EOB does not have the doctors name nor its billing address. It has his company name he works for.

Same thing.

Once again, I questioned the cost immediately and called the doctors billing departmenr and the insurance company about what to do on numerous occasions. Doctors officed did not call me back, they kept calling the insurance company. The insurance company told me to cash the checks and await billing. So do you pay bills that you haven't gotten? I assumed the amounts were wrong and the codes were wrong and called, am i supposed to hunt down a doctor so i could pay him. He has to bill me.

No, you called the company that he works for. If he is a salaried employee of that company, he has nothing to do with their billing practices.

Why do you keep on insinuating anything otherwise? I have excellent credit and this is the first time anyone implies otherwise. I will bring my credit report to court as proof (thanks for the advice on that). i paid everyone else as they sent me bills.
    I'm not insinuating anything. The guy performed a service. The guy (or his company) charged for his services. They are not contracted with your insurance company. They have no obligation to accept what the insurance company deems "reasonable and customery". You got he check. They payment should have immediately been made to the company listed on the EOB, along with the remainder of the fee. End of story.

I think Im done here. Maybe some one else can help you more.

Quote Quoting lealea1005
    View Post
    I'm not insinuating anything. The guy performed a service. The guy (or his company) charged for his services. They are not contracted with your insurance company. They have no obligation to accept what the insurance company deems "reasonable and customery". You got he check. They payment should have immediately been made to the company listed on the EOB, along with the remainder of the fee. End of story.

I think Im done here. Maybe some one else can help you more.
    They didn't charge me for the service. they charged my insurance company. How was I supposed to pay him if he didn't send me a bill? I have no billing address and I claim the bill was inacurate.

Actually in his own suit he claims his bill is reasonable and he has the burden to prove Reasonable.

You act like you are a bill collector. I'm asking for proof of law for what you say. The law does say he has to bill me and it does say he has to notify me of delinquency and it also says he has to charge me a fee based on the standard of Reasonable.

I don't get what you don't agree with.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast