Default Getting An Expungement In California

About a year ago, i plead guilty for trespassing - land p.c.602.8a in california. it was a misdemeanor w/ a $200 fine and probation for 3 years. after this i looked up the penal code and it said that for a first offense, it is an infraction with a $100 fine. now i want to join the coast guard, but they wont let me join with a misdemeanor unless i have it expunged or when the probation is over. is there a good chance that i can have this expunged from my record?

Default Re: Getting An Expungement In California

hmm. Well if it was in fact was your first offense and you should have been eligible for the infraction and lesser fine, it sounds like there may have been an error in the judgment. Perhaps you can go to court, speak with the clerk and ask what she suggests. You may want to contact an attorney. If this is what you say that shouldn't be hard if you truthfully deserved to only be charged with an infraction.

As To expungements generally you cannot have them expunged until the terms of the conviction are complete. In th is case your probation. I am not an expert but I would say you would have to wait (at a minimum) the 3 years probation. Probation are generally designed so you CAN'T Expunge within the time period. Because what good would the probation do.

I would say contact the clerk and see what she suggests. It may be simple fix or you may need third party help.

Even if you CAN'T have it reduced to an infraction. And CANT Have it expunged you may want to go to court and speak with the judge. If you prove to him that you want to join the coast gaurd and serve your country he may offer a solution or allow you to expunge it early given the circumstances. This may be especially true if you have a clean record or havent gotten in to any trouble since this conviction. Im in a similiar boat I got a REALLY lame hunting misdemeanor wasn't arrested or granted probation, and Id like to be a cop or get a CCW license

1. Sponsored Links